Thank You Indydebi & Denise2434 - Long

Decorating By jenlg Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm by -Tubbs

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 7

I need to say a big THANK YOU to indydebi for sharing a buttercream recipe and to denise2434 for shairing the wasc recipe. Here's why.

This happened a while back but I just recently found out. I made a cake for my mother who took it with her to Bingo (big player,lol). I used both recipes for the cake. My mom had cut slices during the intermission for some friends. One friend was an elderly woman, Sandy, who a few months ago was diagnosed with cancer. She had been going through several months of chemo. and it had really taken its toll on her system. After working her way through the slice she starting crying. Obviously everyone started to panic and wonder what was wrong. Sandy looked at my mom and said, "I can actually taste it". You see, Sandy had lost her ability to taste as a side effect from all the chemo. and drugs she had been given. She could not taste anything anymore and the doctors said they weren't sure if she ever could again. I know this all sounds made up but I assure you its 100% true. I don't know why she suddenly could taste this cake....but I know it wouldn't have happened without these recipes I used. I think anyways. I know now, that I will never use a different recipe ever again. Thank you to you both for sharing them and for giving Sandy some joy back in her life. She absolutely loved the cake.

My mom told me all of this recently when I asked her about making another cake for her. She told me the story and updated that Sandy has completely gained her full ability to taste back and she is so happy.

6 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 7

What a great story! I guess I've always taken my sense of "taste" for granted, but I will look at that differently now. Thanks for sharing.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 7

What a great story! We healthy folks take much for granted!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 7

My mother had the same thing happen when she went through chemo. She couldn't taste anything. One night while visiting her I went and got a Pizza Hut pizza and she could taste it. You would have thought I gave her the world on a platter. It was like she had never tasted anything before. I never take anything for granted anymore.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 7

that just made me cry! thanks so much for sharing. I'm glad to hear she's getting her taste back.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 7

As long as they were happy tears indydebi!!

tiggy2 - I'm glad to hear your mom had a great experience as well! It's amazing the strangest things that happen with food.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 7

That's a wonderful story. Chemo does such weird things to you. When I was in college my friend had chemo for Hodgkin's, and lost all sensation in her feet - so strange.

My MIL hasn't been able to taste for years due to her hypertension medication. Makes me sad because she's an ex-Home Ec teacher and has always loved to cook.

I'm so glad this story has a happy ending.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%