An Idiot With A Reasonable Offer...

Decorating By sweetlayers Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 10:25pm by sweetlayers

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 8

Like an idiot, I told a nice lady yesterday (Tuesday) that I would sculpt another guitar cake for her for today (Wednesday)!

Last night, when I got home, I realized that the bagger did NOT put my oil in the bag so I tried to rig the recipe and failed miserably 2 times in my 16x16 square pan, (you know that is a lot of batter!) So ultimately, I never got the opportunity to sculpt the cake because both the cakes fell! icon_mad.gif

Instead, I woke up early, went to the store, purchased more supplies and baked a simple square 8x8 which will give her the same number of servings, but not sculpted. (I was late for work.)

I emailed her and told her what happened, I'm charging her MUCH less only $25 in this case and am giving her a 40% off voucher for her next purchase if she agrees to even take this cake.

Do you think my discounts were reasonable? Do you think she will go for it? I didn't want to leave her in a bind with no cake at all for her son's 18th birthday. icon_redface.gif

7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 8

Could you put a guitar design on it somehow? I wouldn't think that an 18-yr-old would care too much, but he might if the cake is totally plain. If you could do something on it that might be better.

sweetlayers Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 8

yes, I did put a picture of the same guitar on the cake, it's just not shaped like it.

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 8

Personally, I would care if I were expecting 1 thing and got another. icon_surprised.gif
However, with the discount and voucher you gave her, I would come back to you for another cake. icon_razz.gif

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 8

I think your discounts are very reasonable. The lady didn't give you much notice for the cake.

I hope everything goes ok thumbs_up.gif

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 8

If there weren't a rush order fee, I would say your offer was reasonable.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 8

You did the right thing in the situation. You had a disaster, but did the best you could! If she is angry, just apologize profusely, tell her how unusual it is for you, and then give her another discount on a future order.

Just remember-the worst thing that can happen is that she is angry and refuses the cake at all. If that happens, well, it's sad, but you can handle it!

sweetlayers Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 8

Everything worked out well. Thanks for your support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%