Flourless Chocolate Torte?

Baking By yellobutterfly Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 12:51pm by yellobutterfly

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm
post #1 of 10

I was watching food finds one day and they had a man on there who makes a "flourless chocolate torte" then covers in ganache...I want to do something like this for DH for valentine's day. Anyone have a great recipe to share?

9 replies
yellobutterfly Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 10

just giving a bump incase someone might have a recipe?

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 10

I have one... just need to figure out which binder it's in and then I can post it for you...

yellobutterfly Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 10

thank youicon_wink.gif

Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 10

Found it !

Chocolate Seduction Cake
first weight is for one -10 inch round, ( is for 3- 10 inch)

8 oz semi sweet chocolate ( 1 lb 8 oz)
9 oz unsweetened chocolate ( 1 lb 12 oz)

6 1/3 oz water ( 1 lb 4 oz)
8 oz sugar (1lb 8 oz)

12 oz cubed butter, softened ( 2 lbs 4 oz)

13 oz eggs (2 lb 8 oz)
4 oz sugar (12 oz)

Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease 1 (or 3) 10 inch round pans.

Finely chop the chocolate and place it in a large stainless steel bowl.

Place the water and sugar in a saucepot and bring to a boil. Pour over the chocolate and stir with a spoon until melted. Add the soft cubed butter in a few pieces at a time, stirring to incorporate.

Place the eggs and the second quantity of sugar in a mixer and whip on high speed for 3 minutes. Fold this into the warm chocolate mixture. Divide batter evenly among the greased pans and bake in a water bath for 55 minutes.

Refrigerate overnight in the pan, warm pan before turning out the cake onto a cake circle.

Allow to come to room temperature before serving.

I hope you enjoy it!

yellobutterfly Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:41am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

Found it !

Chocolate Seduction Cake
first weight is for one -10 inch round, ( is for 3- 10 inch)

8 oz semi sweet chocolate ( 1 lb 8 oz)
9 oz unsweetened chocolate ( 1 lb 12 oz)

6 1/3 oz water ( 1 lb 4 oz)
8 oz sugar (1lb 8 oz)

12 oz cubed butter, softened ( 2 lbs 4 oz)

13 oz eggs (2 lb 8 oz)
4 oz sugar (12 oz)

Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease 1 (or 3) 10 inch round pans.

Finely chop the chocolate and place it in a large stainless steel bowl.

Place the water and sugar in a saucepot and bring to a boil. Pour over the chocolate and stir with a spoon until melted. Add the soft cubed butter in a few pieces at a time, stirring to incorporate.

Place the eggs and the second quantity of sugar in a mixer and whip on high speed for 3 minutes. Fold this into the warm chocolate mixture. Divide batter evenly among the greased pans and bake in a water bath for 55 minutes.

Refrigerate overnight in the pan, warm pan before turning out the cake onto a cake circle.

Allow to come to room temperature before serving.

I hope you enjoy it!

Thank you so much, I can't wait to try this! Have you made this before? Do you have a ganache recipe to recommend for the top?
uhhh....do you know about how many eggs are in 13 oz, lol? When you warm the pan (before turning onto circle) do you do it in the oven at a low temp? (If so what temp?) and finally, please elaborate on a water bath - I've never done this method, and I can picture it in my mind, but need specifics...sorry for all the questions, thanks again!!

sillyjodes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyjodes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #7 of 10

here's a link for a torte I made for hubby's birthday in july. It is super rich and easy to make. I made some homemade vanilla bean ice cream to go with it.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Bittersweet-Flourless-Chocolate-Cake-117974

Bijoudelanuit Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:42am
post #8 of 10

I've made this so many times... we used to make 6 of them every few days...

For the ganache (for one cake) I would use 1 cup of heavy cream with 12 ounces of chocolate. Let it cool/ thicken somewhat before pouring it over the cake.

I'm not sure how many eggs there are in 13 ounces ( I love using my kitchen scale!).

When I warm the pan I turn on one of the stove top burners and slide the pan back and forth either just above the flame or on the electric burner. When the bottom of the pan feels slightly warm to the touch it's time to turn it out.

For the water bath you would need to put a larger cake pan or roasting pan on the rack of the oven. Any pan that gives about 2-3 inches of gap around the 10 inch pan would work. Place the cake into the center of the pan and then fill the outer pan half way up with water.

icon_smile.gif

yellobutterfly Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyjodes

here's a link for a torte I made for hubby's birthday in july. It is super rich and easy to make. I made some homemade vanilla bean ice cream to go with it.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Bittersweet-Flourless-Chocolate-Cake-117974

thanks so much, I'll check that one out too...but the homemade icecream sounds soooooooooooo goooooood!!

yellobutterfly Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:51pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

I've made this so many times... we used to make 6 of them every few days...

For the ganache (for one cake) I would use 1 cup of heavy cream with 12 ounces of chocolate. Let it cool/ thicken somewhat before pouring it over the cake.

What kind of chocolate for the ganache? It still pours well even when thickened?

I'm not sure how many eggs there are in 13 ounces ( I love using my kitchen scale!).

Mmmmk, I have one too so will do!

When I warm the pan I turn on one of the stove top burners and slide the pan back and forth either just above the flame or on the electric burner. When the bottom of the pan feels slightly warm to the touch it's time to turn it out.

That'll work I have a gas stove, so I think I can handle that...

For the water bath you would need to put a larger cake pan or roasting pan on the rack of the oven. Any pan that gives about 2-3 inches of gap around the 10 inch pan would work. Place the cake into the center of the pan and then fill the outer pan half way up with water.

mmmmk, thanks so much for explaining everything, can't wait to try this!!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%