What Are These? Cousin Driving Me Crazy

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 2:16am by summernoelle

alvarezmom Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 25

My sister signed me up to do my Aunt's 50th Birthday cake. After sending numerous pictures to my cousin she wants this one. Cousin keeps saying the cake needs to be elegent...okay okay already. She cant make up her mind...now she wants this cake...looks pretty simple. Colors are Black and white----this cake reminds me to much of a wedding cake. It's her money but she is giving me a headache already....So my question is what are those beads, rocks???? In the front of the cake?
LL

24 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 25

They look like large chunks of sanding sugar in an olive green color.Also small royal icing dots in various sizes.

bashini Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 25

Hi, this cake is from Pink Cake Box. Here is the discription of the cake,

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/wedding-cake-9-2007-11-03.htm

You might be able to do them with royal icing or stick some pearls.

HTH.

FromScratch Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 25

To me it looks like painted royal icing. I had a bride bring in this cake for a consult once. It's very pretty.

alvarezmom Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 25

Thanks! My cousin has changed her mind so many times. My husband told me to tell her last week that I wouldnt be able to do it. I could smack my sister now!!!! Do they make sanding sugar in black?

SaraClassic Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 25

sure do! thumbs_up.gif Kitchen Krafts has various colors. http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=CD0102-BLK
I agree with painted RI dots too, I may try a small one on a dummy, really nice cake. I love Pink Cake Box Cakes ! icon_biggrin.gif

SaraClassic Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 25

I ment to also say... I buy bulk clear sanding sugar and tint my colors with coloring gel in a plastic ziplock. Just ad color to sugar and shake & rub till you get the color you like. icon_lol.gif

alvarezmom Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 25

SaraClassic-That's a great idea..so all you do is put the sugar in a bag and add color? How long does it take for the color to dry?

saberger Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 25

I put sanding sugar and then put luster dust in it and "shake it all around....do the hokey-pokey......" I used it around the bottom of this cake (no drying time required):

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1293668

And if you add just a touch of gold or silver shimmer it will sparkle.

m1m Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 25

What a beautiful cake! Yes, I agree, it does look like a wedding cake!

To me, it looks like white and olive royal icing dots. thumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

this cake reminds me to much of a wedding cake.

It's a gorgeous cake but I agree, it's too much for a 50th birthday. Don't know how many you're needing to serve with this but I think for this occasion this could be done very beautifully as a single large round or even oval cake. With just the right height with multi layers and decorated the same I think you could have a very elegant 50th b-day cake for your aunt. I just don't think up is always the way to go. I've made some of my prettiest cakes using my large round and oval pans.

Wing-Ding Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 25

I wouldn't want a wedding style cake for a 50th birthday.

All the suggestions here are great!

SaraClassic Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:

SaraClassic-That's a great idea..so all you do is put the sugar in a bag and add color? How long does it take for the color to dry?

Yep thats all, its normally dry enough to use right then, but when doing black, or dark green etc... it may be pretty wet from a lot of coloring and you can let it hang out on parchemnt for dryer sugar.

summernoelle Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 25

I know Pink Cake Box uses inedible rhinestones a lot. I one time wanted some info on it, and she sent me the link she uses for this stuff. It's on my old computer, but I will try to dig it up for you. icon_biggrin.gif

alvarezmom Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:35pm
post #15 of 25

I totally agree! My cousin is just going over board with it all. I believe there is supposed to be about 60-75ppl attending the party and they DO cut cake like it's a main course. It's going to be a big cake. I tried having her do only a two tiered cake but she thinks this will be more "becoming". I'm going to do them in 10-8-6 inches. Those are the smallest pans that I have...and even then I know this is going to be WAY to much cake.

summernoelle Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #16 of 25

What about dummies? It will be so much easier on you, and then you won't have the leftovers.

I understand wanting a huge cake-what a gorgeous centerpiece you will make!

SaraClassic Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:48pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I know Pink Cake Box uses inedible rhinestones a lot. I one time wanted some info on it, and she sent me the link she uses for this stuff. It's on my old computer, but I will try to dig it up for you. icon_biggrin.gif

That would be great ! Let us know if you dig it up !

alvarezmom Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #18 of 25

I didnt think to use a dummy for the top part. I should do that.

mommyle Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #19 of 25

It might be a bit "wedding-y" but we know that we have ALL seen some pretty messed up wedding cakes!!!! Case in point....
LL

alvarezmom Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm
post #20 of 25

SO funny you should post this picture. I found it a couple of weeks ago and was AMAZED that some one would want that cake! LOL OMG

dailey Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:06pm
post #21 of 25

i disagree...i think this would make a great birthday cake. a lot of people have stacked cakes for b-days, plus, the design is clean and simple...

alvarezmom Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:10pm
post #22 of 25

dailey-I LOVE LOVE the wedding dress cake in your gallery! So beautiful and the one you did for your little girl! Your roses are flawless.

dailey Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:

dailey-I LOVE LOVE the wedding dress cake in your gallery! So beautiful and the one you did for your little girl! Your roses are flawless.

thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

luv_to_decorate Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:16pm
post #24 of 25

It is a very pretty cake, but the description says it was designed from the bride's gown. Let you cousin know that and maybe she will change her mind. I would not want this cake for my 50th birthday. Too much like a wedding cake. I bet your aunt would like a more birthday type themed cake with maybe her favorite colors used on the cake. A 2 tier would be very nice. Good luck and post the pictures when you make your cake.

summernoelle Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:16am
post #25 of 25

Hi guys,

Sorry it took me so long to find this! They use www.verydifferentcakes.com for their nonedible cake jewels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%