3D Cake...need Help, Any Ideas?

Lounge By Denae Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 11:28pm by Denae

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 4

hey all, i seen wilton has a 3D shaped winnie the pooh cake pan...how can i acheive this without using the pan? how would i carve it? any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

3 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 4

Perhaps you can use this tutorial as a starting point:
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Monkey_see.html

I know the tutorial is for a monkey, but I've seen it used for other animals and characters. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

HTH,
Deanna

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 4

Denae,

This is a 3D Winnie the Pooh in my photos that I just did a couple of weeks ago, is this what you are talking about.

My Winnie is 6 layers of cake high. There is supports and a cake board under each 2 layers of cake, just as if I was making a tiered cake. Once the cakes are stacked, I started carving. I had issues with the head, but I went and got a Winnie stuffed animal and using that as an example, I carved away. I carved the arms in but I actually wish that I had just added them in fondant later. The legs and feet are also cake. I probably should have carved more away on the head but I get nervous because I'm always afraid to take away too much. This cake was being taken by someone else to a shower an hour away so I didn't want it to be too delicate. Oh, I also put a dowel all the way through for stability. I've never done that before because I usually use SPs but I had never made one like this before and wanted the additional stability.

Feel free to ask me if you have any other questions. Good Luck and post pictures!

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 4

hey guys...thanks for your feedback! i will post when i am done/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%