Can I Ice Cupcakes With Buttercream And Freeze Them?

Decorating By Melnick Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 11:49am by Linliv46

Melnick Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:47pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make a whole heap of cupcakes for my son's birthday next month. The problem is I don't normally do it until the night before and then I end up so exhausted after doing that, cleaning the kitchen and house, decorating for the party, etc that I find it hard to function at the actual party so I'm wondering if I could make and ice the cupcakes in advance and just freeze them? If I did, what is the longest period of time you can freeze them for?

Thanks for your help!

7 replies
pastryjen Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 8

If you are using a crusting BC - no problem. I'd probably do them the weekend before. Maybe make your BC a couple days before you start baking and store in fridge.

I totoally understand about getting ready for a party. It is more fun to enjoy making the cupcakes than pulling a late night trying to finish them and then be way too tired to enjoy the party!

Melnick Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the advice. Could you please tell me what a crusting buttercream is? The recipe I use just consists of butter, icing sugar and milk. Thanks again

pastryjen Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 8

After leaving your icing out a bit, will it get a little crust on it? or does it stay soft like canned frosting

Your butter cream will crust depending on the fat to sugar ratio.

anivair Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnick

Thanks for the advice. Could you please tell me what a crusting buttercream is? The recipe I use just consists of butter, icing sugar and milk. Thanks again

That buttercream should freeze okay. The stuff made with just fat and sugar (american buttercream) will hold up to just about anything. A french or itallian buttercream is more of an emulsion and is touchier. Not sure how well it'll hold up, personally. The stuff in my fridge seems okay, but I've never done the freezer.

Linliv46 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 8

You will be fine freezing them! They will keep for 2-3 months if you have them wrapped securely. I always put them in foil pans with the snap plastic top and then double wrap in Saran wrap. You can also freeze SMBC like this. I have done both!

Melnick Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:42am
post #7 of 8

Thank you! Thank you! I appreciate all the wonderful advice. Mine does form a slight crust. What are foil pans? Are they the foil trays with cardboard lids for putting food into? I was thinking of putting them into a Tupperware container and then wrapping a couple of times with cling wrap (I think you call it sarang wrap). Do you think that would work?

Linliv46 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:49am
post #8 of 8

Yes, The Tupperware works great also! The foil is just an aluminum pan that is disposible! Either will work but I would go ahead and wrap with the Saran wrap too . thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%