Dragees

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 2:03am by MJ2008

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #1 of 9

I know this question has probably been asked a million times, but I am reading conflicting things on the internet about it and just want your opinion.

Are silver or any other color (multi) dragees REALLY edible? I'd like to use some on the cupcakes I am doing for a baby shower, but I am worried about them being truly "EDIBLE" especially since the mom to be will be consuming them.

Thanks for your input icon_smile.gif

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:42am
post #2 of 9

Well, we call them sygar balls, which are edible. Here is a link from Global sugar art, which they say that metalic coloured dagrees are not be consumed. But the white coloured dagrees, are edible.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=681&s=0

If you want, you can buy the white dagrees and colour them with lustre dust.

HTH.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 9

They are (the ones you would buy in a grocery store) but they are really hard. I have heard that teeth can be chipped icon_eek.gif . You could also roll little fondant balls & use luster dust.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 9

silver and gold dragees are not edible since they may contain trace amounts of metal.... I ate a ton as a kid though so I don't think that they will hurt you. If you put them on a cake that you are selling you may want to tell the customer that they should remove them before eating.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 9

Do people ever really eat the dragees? I never have out of tooth-chipping fear.

I just buy white dragees (they're cheaper!) and color them myself with luster dust as bashini suggested.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 9

everyone i know loves eating dagrees (or at least doesnt hate them), i havent actually known anyone who chipped a tooth either. if they sit in soft icing they go soft anyway.
the uk is different to the us though, we judge dagrees to be perfectly edible, if you remove them its cause u dont like them. you have to eat a serious amount to be at any kind of risk.
maybe go with what it says on your packet - it it says not edible, tell the mother, if it says edible, then no worries.
xx

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:23am
post #7 of 9

I ordered the white dragees and some luster dust from GSA tonight. I hope they are not too hard as I would hate for someone to chip a tooth!

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it so much!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:38am
post #8 of 9

The dragees will soften when placed in the BC. It is a sugar center with a metallic outer coating. Some states do not consider these food safe, although from years of eating them as a kid, I think they are just over sensitive. I have yet to hear of anyone becoming sick from eating dragees, though you never know, it could be possible. Most decorators do suggest taking off the dragees before eating just to be on the safe side, but I don't think it would really hurt anyone to eat one or two. Just do what you think is right. Maybe research it on google to see if there is any proven evidence against them. I have not done this myself, so I probably should too! icon_smile.gif Hope this helps....

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #9 of 9

I always wondered why I never saw silver or gold dragees in stores here and it's because they can't be sold in California. I agree with the others, I'd just go with white ones. If you really want them to be silver you can always paint them yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%