Does This Need To Be Put In The Fridge?

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 4:08am by kellertur

loriemoms Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:37am
post #1 of 6

I ran across this recipe online and noticed it was from Toba Garrets book. It is DELISH!! I was thinking of trying it on a wedding cake and was wondering if 1) does it need to be refrigerated (it just states you can freeze it) and does anyone know if it holds up well in humid weather? It is SO easy to work with!

2 cups (1 pound or 454 gram) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (230 gram) vegetable shortening or hi-ratio shortening
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice or 1 1/2 tsp lemon extract, pure vanilla extract, or almond extract
3 lbs (1.36 kilograms) 10X confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp (4 1/2 fl ounces or 135 mililiter) water, milk, or clear liqueur
3 Tbsp meringue powder (see, Epicurious Editors' Notes below)
1 tsp salt

Preparation1. Cream shortening and butter with an electric, handheld, or paddle-whip mixer. Add flavoring and salt. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time. Add meringue powder. (The mixture will appear dry.)

2. Add liquid of choice and beat until light and fluffy (approximately 5 to 8 minutes). Keep the bowl covered with a damp cloth or plastic wrap.

Storage: Store the icing in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.

Yield: 2 1/2 quarts (2.37 L)

5 replies
jammjenks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 6

I don't know about humidity, but I wouldn't see any reason that this would have to be refrigerated.

loriemoms Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:17am
post #3 of 6
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I don't know about humidity, but I wouldn't see any reason that this would have to be refrigerated.

so there isnt too much butter to be needed? The only other buttercreams I used with butter in the past has been half butter half shortening. (I pretty much use all shortening buttercreams these days, but have been searching for something creamier)

jammjenks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:23am
post #4 of 6

Nah. It should be fine. I've used all butter before (when I ran out of shortening) and didn't refrigerate. There isn't enough milk in that recipe to need it either. I'm like you...can't sell anything that requires refrigeration.

sayhellojana Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:27am
post #5 of 6

technically, butter doesnt even need to be refrigerated. It's shelf stable for weeks.

kellertur Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:08am
post #6 of 6

I also have a non-hazardous foods license.
(this coming from someone who refrigerates non-perishables, like crackers and cereal. icon_biggrin.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%