Wilton's Fluffy Boiled Icing - Need Refrigeration?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 12:22am by Marianna46

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 7

I just made Wilton's Fluffy Boiled Icing for the first time. Does anyone know if it needs to be refrigerated? Also, what kind of icing is it? ( i.e. crusting or non-crusting) How long does it keep for and is it ok that I frosted the cupcakes one day ahead of time? TIA!

ETA: Here is the recipe:

Meringue:
Ingredients:

* 3 Tablespoons meringue powder
* 1/2 cup cold water

Syrup:
Ingredients:

* 2 cups granulated sugar
* 1/4 cup corn syrup
* 1/2 cup water

Beat meringue powder and cold water until stiff, about 4 minutes. In microwave safe bowl stir sugar, corn syrup and water. In microwave bring syrup mixture to a boil (approx. 5 minutes). Remove, let mixture cool slightly (1-2 minutes). Then slowly add syrup to meringue mixture. Beat on HIGH for 4 minutes.

6 replies
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone? Please? icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:05am
post #3 of 7

Yup! It needs to be in the fridge!

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:26am
post #4 of 7

Thank you for your response. I did end up putting it in the refrig, but found that it was still very runny and did not really "set." Did I do something wrong or is supposed to be this way? It just seemed to sit nicely on top of the cupcake at first and then it soon "melted" down the sides. icon_sad.gif

JanH Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:17am
post #5 of 7

Seems Wilton's recipe is a "foam" (or meringue) icing/frosting which is best when prepared and served the same day (because refrigeration can cause beads of condensation):

http://columbia.yosemite.cc.ca.us/wombleg/HM135/Icings_Topic_Handout.htm

If that recipe contained butter, it would be a meringue b/c.... and a lot more stable.

HTH

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:08am
post #6 of 7

Thank you, JanH, for the link. It is very informative. I believe you are correct about this frosting being made and served the same day. While this recipe was a hit in regards to taste...it was a flop in regards to workability and presentation. icon_wink.gif

Marianna46 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 12:22am
post #7 of 7

The recipe that Sweet_2th_Fairy posted here is the correct one, thank goodness. It's the one that appears in their annuals. But the same recipe on their website has a nasty little typo in it which makes the end of the recipe read "Heat on HIGH for 4 minutes" instead of "Beat on HIGH for 4 minutes" Please don't try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%