Luster Dust On Princess Crown

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 11:49pm by Marianna46

Heatherly30 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:21am
post #1 of 8

I am going to be making a crown using Sugarshack's tutorial. She uses an airbrush to color the crown gold or silver. Don't own an airbrush, so what are my options?

Will luster dust "stick" to the dried crown, or should I apply it before the gumpaste hardens?

Would I be better off painting it on? I believe I can mix the luster dust with liquor, right?

Is luster dust my best option, or would a different kind of dust be better?

7 replies
prcutie71 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 8

I made one and just painted the luster dust on w/ vodka was very easy - it was also my first time...I gave it a couple coats...
You can see mine in my photos (Sweet 16 Cake)

Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Marianna46 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:37am
post #3 of 8

I tried painting with luster dust for the first time the other day and it didn't come out very well. How much vodka, or whatever, should I use for how much dust? I think it was too watered down. Can anybody help me, as well? Thanks.

poohsmomma Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 8

Sorry this is not an answer for you, but another question about mixing luster dust with vodka...any recommended proportions???

Heatherly30 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 8

prcutie...that tiara looks flawless! I'm not brave enough to try one made of RI.

I know that I asked this question, but I once painted gold onto bc (which was not real easy). I used a small shot glass with a tiny amount of vodka, and added luster dust until it was rather thick. Since I'll be painting something much larger this time, I'm not quite sure how I'll measure it out. Trial and error. Can anyone else help us out?

BigTexinWV Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 8

The way I paint with luster dust is by pouring a small amount of lemon extract in to a shot glass. I use lemon extract because it has a higher amount of alcohol in it. But you can use other alcohols vodka etc. But lemon extract has 84% alcohol.

Anyway, I dip my brush in the alcohol then dip it in to the luster dust and it makes a paste on the brush. This way you do not waste the dust by making too much paste. Then I just paint on my tiara. I just repeat over and over again.

If I think that the tiara is getting to wet from the alcohol, then I slow down and blow on the parts that I painted to help it dry. This can be caused from not having high enough alcohol content from your liquid. The alcohol should evaporate really quickly.

Really it is trial and error.

PS. You can use mint extract also 80%-98% alcohol

poohsmomma Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the help, Big TexinWV

Marianna46 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks, indeed, BigTexinWV. I'm dying to do a frog prince for Valentine's Day, and now maybe I can make the crown really sparkle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%