What Is Normal To Charge...

Decorating By imaginecakes Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 12:28pm by Kay_NL

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 3

Hello to everyone icon_smile.gif (sorry...I posted this in the "how do I" forum and I meant to post it here...

What is a reasonable price to charge for two 1/4 (9 x 13 x2) sheet cakes. Assuming that they are just basic cakes with BC filling and icing? I attempted to figure out a price from the number of servings (2.50/45 servings via the Wilton party slices chart) making the total amount of servings 90...which works out to be 225.00. Is that right? Honestly knowing that the grocery stores sell their 1/4 sheet cakes for between 35-45 dollars a piece...how do you compete with that?

Thanks for your help!

Jenn

2 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 3

Are they 2 layer 1/4 sheets?

For my single layer quarter sheets I use a total servings per cake of 27, which would leave you with 54 servings total. If they are all custom decorated, then you are right to charge that per serving rate. If they are simply iced and bordered with a few balloons or something (like Wal-Mart, say) then you might consider a smaller flat rate for something like that.

If they are double layer, custom decorated, then the price you quoted earlier is good.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 3

Our local grocery stores sell a 9x13x2 cake (either all one flavor or half and half chocolate/vanilla) for $25.00. I sell mine for $32.00 so would charge $64.00 for the cake you described. My price would go up if there were icing flowers, chocolate figures, any fondant or gum paste used, etc....

I don't think there is any possible way to get 45 slices of party cake from a 9x13 cake. To determine my servings (I made myself a pricing spreadsheet so the servings of each cake is calculated in there), I assume that everyone will have a 2x2 piece of cake so I just use areas of cake and pieces to calculate (9 x 13) / (2 x 2) = 29 servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%