Two-Tone On Buttercream??

Decorating By Katie-Bug Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 1:43pm by Katie-Bug

Katie-Bug Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 8

Here is a photo that I love, but how do I do it? I have seen several buttercream cakes that are two tone, but I don't know how to do it.

Anyone mind sharing with me how to?

7 replies
tomatoqeen Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:21am
post #2 of 8

I am kind of on the same wavelength. I have seen the most beautiful buttercream damask patterns on top of buttercream, but I couldn't imagine how to do it! Frozen cake? Thanks for posing the question!

Katie-Bug Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:22am
post #3 of 8

I know, me too!! Maybe someone can help us!! icon_smile.gif

P.S. the photo is from PattyCakes.

dsevans Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #4 of 8

i think not 100% sure) you ice your cake and let it dry/crust whatever you call the trace out your"pattern" on wax paper and entle line over the part of your cake you want to leave white and then airbrush the color on, then if you want to do another color cover the part you airbrush first, i am going to have to experiment with this, they may make templates for this kind of work too though!...hmm my guess is airbrush!

jammjenks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:20am
post #5 of 8

It may not be "the way" to do it, but this is what I'd do:

Ice the cake in white and smooth as usual
Freehand a wave pattern with a toothpick
Pipe the blue using a tip #7 (or 10 or whatever)
Let it crust and go over it with a paint roller (Melvira method)
Pipe the border

I only use a crusting buttercream. The above method would not work with a non-crusting one.

Sounds pretty easy in my head. icon_smile.gif

tastyart Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:04am
post #6 of 8

I have a book from wilton that makes this design using a wax paper stencil. Frost cakes in white, wait to crust. Place homemade stencil, frost with blue. I've never used this method myself but that's what the book says.

KimAZ Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:17am
post #7 of 8

I've done several cakes in two tone buttercream. I use the big icer tip and pipe the bottom color first. Then change colors and pipe the other color on top. Then smooth the line with a spatula, paper towel and or roller. Works like a charm!

If the pattern isn't just straight lines around the cake, just angle the icer tip to the desired pattern like a wave and do the same as above.

Katie-Bug Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 8

Eerrr! I've post this question an replyed to it and still didn't any notice that it had replies!! icon_mad.gif

Anyway, I used to work with Patty so I know she doesn't do it with an airbrush. We didn't have one till right before I left there.

I know one time she free-hand painted it one, I think with lucter dust. But this cake, doesn't look luster or shiney like it was done that way.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I think I might try experimenting with this next week. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%