What Is Normal To Charge...

Decorating By imaginecakes Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 2:01am by indydebi

imaginecakes Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 4

Hello to everyone icon_smile.gif

What is a reasonable price to charge for two 1/4 (9 x 13 x2) sheet cakes. Assuming that they are just basic cakes with BC filling and icing? I attempted to figure out a price from the number of servings (2.50/45 servings via the Wilton party slices chart) making the total amount of servings 90...which works out to be 225.00. Is that right? Honestly knowing that the grocery stores sell their 1/4 sheet cakes for between 35-45 dollars a piece...how do you compete with that?

Thanks for your help!

Jenn

3 replies
niccicola Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 4

Yeah, I have a hard time charging that much for sheet cakes, but I remember that it's the same price per serving as all my other cakes, so I'm gonna charge it even tho it sounds off.

Actually, i hate making sheet cakes, so this is a way to deter people from that and make them order a tiered cake

Deb_ Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 4

The way to "compete with that" is, you don't.

Our cakes are fresh baked, from scratch (in some cases), torted, filled, iced and custom decorated individually.

They are not "mass produced" flown in frozen, iced from a bucket, unfilled with only shell borders and roses. That's what you get in my area for $15.99 (for that size) from a store bakery.

I never want anyone to compare my cakes to the grocery store, Sam's, BJ's, or Walmart's cakes. If they want "cheap prices" than that's where I direct them to go. I don't want those clients and they don't want my cakes.

Like others on here say, "Not everyone can afford our cakes, but there are a lot of people that can.......those that can't, can go to Walmart."

One of the most important things to remember is, you need to value your work and talent, because if you don't........nobody will.

edit to add~ Sorry, I forgot to answer your pricing question, I got carried away icon_redface.gif You said 2" high sheet cake but filled w/bc right? I actually make my sheet cakes (which I rarely make) as 2 - 2" layers that have been torted and filled, so my sheet cakes are about 4" tall with 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling, just like my other shaped cakes, so yes I do charge the same for BC, basic flavors which is $3.50 per serving. (If I were to do it the way you described it would be less, maybe $2 per serving.)?

indydebi Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:01am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginecakes

Hello to everyone icon_smile.gif

What is a reasonable price to charge for two 1/4 (9 x 13 x2) sheet cakes. Assuming that they are just basic cakes with BC filling and icing? I attempted to figure out a price from the number of servings (2.50/45 servings via the Wilton party slices chart) making the total amount of servings 90...

If you're thinking 45 PARTY servings per 9x13 (90 servings total), then these are 2-layer cakes, not single layer cakes like at the grocery. If the Wilton chart is saying 45, then they are cutting these cakes into 1.5" x 1.5" If they are saying this is a PARTY serving, then I can assume it's a 2-layer cake .... because a single layer 1.5"x1.5"x2" is not a "party" serving. It's only 4.5 cubic inches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%