Problem With Michele Foster's Fondant

Decorating By gerripje Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm by dailey

gerripje Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 11

I made a batch for the third time last night and I ended up using more powdered sugar than usual and today it still seems awful soft. If I just keep adding ps, is it going to be strong and pliable enough? Is there something else I could add even like a little tylose to make it harder or would that just wreck it completely? icon_sad.gif
I'm not sure what I did wrong or different this time. Our humidity is a little higher than normal right now, but it's getting drier by the minute outside!
I don't work fondant a whole lot, so maybe just compared to gum paste it feels soft to me. Good thing I have time to make or buy more before I need it on Saturday! TIA!

10 replies
lorijom Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 11

I think if it were me I'd add a bit more ps and then try your luck with it. If it feels like bread dough and isn't sticky it's ready to work with.

Humidity will definitely have an impact but I've never had to use more than the 4 pounds of ps. It doesn't sound like you let it rest for 24 hours but did you at least wait 12 hours?

I'm not sure about adding tylose - I do add tylose for draping and it does really firm up your fondant but again you have to wait 12- 24 hours for it to activate. I'm also not too sure how much luck you'd have covering a cake because with the tylose it will dry much quicker and be harder to the tooth - hey an al dente cake icon_smile.gif

Callyssa Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:59am
post #3 of 11

I definitely wouldn't add tylose to your fondant! Then it basically becomes gumpaste, and I don't consider that edible. Well, at least not palatable!

I've made MF Fondant several times and I can tell you I ALWAYS have to add more ps than the recipe calls for, sometimes a lot more. I'm terrible with measures, so I can't give you any idea how much, but basically as Lorijom stated, when it stops being so sticky put it away and let it rest. I leave mine a little more sticky than I think I should at first and then the next day when I'm ready to use it I knead in more to get it to the texture I think it should be. I've mixed too much extra ps in at first and the next day it was just too stiff to use.

My limited experience with both fondant and gp is that fondant is not nearly as stiff as gp, so don't try to get it that way. It will dry way too fast on you and you'll end up with it cracking and elephant skin. Can you guess how I know that?! icon_wink.gif

gerripje Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:12am
post #4 of 11

Hmmmm....well, I've left it in the bag 24 hours and as I poke it, it seems really soft. I guess I'll give it try later and add more ps and hope for the best!! Thanx

Callyssa Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #5 of 11

You should be fine just kneading in more once you're ready to use it. At least you didn't get it too stiff when you first made it. You can always add more, but it's really hard to take it away! If you've ever used a commercial fondant, this won't be exactly the same. It was much easier for me using SatinIce; less sticky, less stretching, but I can't get past the taste. Homemade is the only way to go for me......

gerripje Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:34am
post #6 of 11

It's been a year and half since I first used Wilton fondant. For being my first time I was surprised that I actually got the cakes covered pretty good, but YUCK, was it ever awful. That really turned me off of fondant all together for a long time. Now that I've come to CC, I've learned there is more to cake life than just Wilton!!

dailey Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerripje

Hmmmm....well, I've left it in the bag 24 hours and as I poke it, it seems really soft. I guess I'll give it try later and add more ps and hope for the best!! Thanx

i had the same problem. try adding some white chocolate to the recipe, i think it really helped firm it up so i was able to roll it out and lift it with no problems.

ZAKIA6 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 11

the last two batches i made were also very soft.

Callyssa Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 11

I've heard of adding the white chocolate; how would you do this? How much would I add, and at what point? If I tried to mix it with the liquids it would seize up, right?

This will be a dumb question I'm sure, but does adding the white chocolate make the fondant taste like white chocolate? I HATE wc, so I'm hoping someone will say you add so little that it doesn't really change the taste at all! (wishful thinking?!)

Ballymena Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 11

I love this fondant recipe. It does take a lot of ps, it seems to be softer than others, especially the commercial stuff. I made a triple recipe and kneaded ps in until I could handle it easily though it needed to be a bit stiffer for working with. I then divided it into 2 lb. portions and froze all but what I needed at the time. That way I only have to work on one batch at a time as I need it. I take it out of the freezer the night before I want to use it, I like working on it when it's a bit softer. Of course if I want to cover a cake or do fondant sculpture I need it firmer.
As for storing the unfrozen fondant, I always keep it in the fridge.

dailey Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

I've heard of adding the white chocolate; how would you do this? How much would I add, and at what point? If I tried to mix it with the liquids it would seize up, right?

This will be a dumb question I'm sure, but does adding the white chocolate make the fondant taste like white chocolate? I HATE wc, so I'm hoping someone will say you add so little that it doesn't really change the taste at all! (wishful thinking?!)

i added 6 ounces of melted white chocolate to the wet ingredients. and no, it didn't seize up. personally, i don't think WC taste like anything? the cheap stuff taste bad, imo, but the better brands taste kinda neutral and smooth. so to answer your question, no, i don't think it taste like WC, LOL!

oh, i also made some pearls for the border of my small cake that i covered in this stuff and, wow, it was the first time i was able to get those pearls on the cake no problem! the texture of the fondant handled very well...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%