Non-Buttercream Frosting Under Fondant?

Decorating By evasmama Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 4:36am by evasmama

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a devil's food cake with a butter-free meringue type peppermint frosting for V-Day. I've been wanting to try my hand at fondant, and since this cake is for DH and me, I thought WTH!

Does fondant need to go on over buttercream or something of similar stiff consistency, or would a fluffier type frosting work OK as a base? It's not full of air, but it's light since there's no butter...kinda like marshmallow cream.

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:29am
post #2 of 6

Of the posts I've read, soft/fluffy/whipped icings under fondant are usually a mess.
The weight of the fondant compresses the icing and it sort of slides out from under the fondant coating.

Rae

evasmama Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:33am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the info! I'll enjoy the recipe as is and try fondant on something else. icon_smile.gif

evasmama Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:33am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the info! I'll enjoy the recipe as is and try fondant on something else. icon_smile.gif

evasmama Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:35am
post #5 of 6

evasmama Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:36am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%