Learning The Hard Way.

Baking By whisperingmadcow Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm by -Tubbs

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 3

It always seems like I am doing things first, then asking a ton a questions later!!!

So my sister was having a pirate themed b-day party for my nephew this past weekend. I make an octopus cake which turned out rather nicely. Coming off the high of actually liking one of my cakes I decided to make some sugar cookied in the shape of a skull and cross bones.

The cookies themselves were really nice. I have used the recipe before. But I might have done the icing backwards. I draw a black line around the outside of the skull and cross bones and put x's for eyes and a small mouth. Then I took some white RI and thinned it and tried to fill it in. Maybe my icing was too thick still, but it didn't really spread well. I was using the wilton recipe. I ended up using a toothpick to move the icing it to the nooks and crannies. Should I have done the white first and then put the black over it, or should I have just watered down the white icing more? All in all they were really cute, they just looked really home made!

Does anyone have a great RI recipe?

Thanks ya'll!

2 replies
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 3

Hi! Your idea sounds great! You are right that to make it easier next time you could flood the whole background in white, let dry and then pipe the black on top. Sounds like you saved the day though with the toothpick idea!

As for a RI recipe, I swear by Antonia74's RI recipe found here on CC. She has a great cookie tutorial that talks about it as well. It is "How to Bake and Decorate Cookies". Her meringue powder that she gets in Canada already has vanilla flavoring built in, so I add 1 teaspoon pure van. extract in the last minute (you can add Americolor Super White if you need to cancel out the tinge). Or you can add almond extract. I don't remember how much I used, but you might want to start with 3/4 tsp and gague it. Yumm! icon_biggrin.gif

Congrats again on saving the day! thumbs_up.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 3

Sounds fun!

For future reference, I did skeleton cookies for a Halloween party last year and used the dark chocolate cookie recipe listed on this site, and just piped the bones in white, which made it really straightforward.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%