Help! I Need To Get Food Dye Off My Hands Asap!

Decorating By kutabby Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm by rockysmommy

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 20

I'm so mad at myself! I had been good about keeping my hands clean of dye until this morning. I was in a rush to load the dishwasher and wasn't thinking. Now I have red dye all over my hands icon_sad.gif
Normally it doesn't bother me and it goes away after a few days. But I have a business mixer tonight and will be shaking a lot of hands!!!!
Any help would be appreciated!!
Tabby

19 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 20

I like to use hand sanitizer it will get alot of the die off. Then if you have to resort to a little bleach that will take the rest off, but it plays havoc with your skin.

Meagan84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagan84 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 20

A little clorox bleach on a cotton ball always does the trick for me. Just remember to mousturize really well after.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 20

Nail polish remover will take it right off.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 20

Rubbing alcohol.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagan84

A little clorox bleach on a cotton ball always does the trick for me. Just remember to mousturize really well after.

Do you use straight bleach or dilute it with water? I have had to wear red color for 3 days...not fun. icon_cry.gif

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 20

I had red hands for a whole week once..if only I knew what I know now icon_lol.gif

thanks guys

Meagan84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagan84 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 20

I just use straight bleach and wash my hands immediately after.

rockysmommy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 20

Clorox, rubbing alcohol, or nail polish remover...I was using my husband's shop soap with that awful gritty feel to it. It takes a lot off...but it would not cut the red dye...Thanks guys!

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:46pm
post #10 of 20

John Freda's Frizz Ease shampoo does it every time, all I have to do is wash my hair and the food colour is gone!

I'm not sure if that is good or bad, what is in the stuff?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 20

1) spray them w/Windexicon_smile.gif Yes, I said Windexicon_smile.gif Actually it's the amonia in it that takes the color off but in Windex it is diluted and smell is masked so you can stand it.
2) the 1st liquid that touches your hands must be as HOT as you can possibly stand.

No more coloricon_smile.gif

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 20

I use bleach and water and soak them for a few minutes. If they are really stained with red it may take straight bleach. After that I use liquid soap or even dawn deteregent. And yes, don't forget to use lotion afterwards. Of course it would have had to be red. icon_surprised.gif Good luck!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #13 of 20

Go shampoo your hair.

The shampoo is a soap and your hair is abrasive, thus scrubs off the color.

Works for me! icon_smile.gif

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:51pm
post #14 of 20

I use a great homemade soap that my friend makes, that has coffee grounds in it, I think you could put some coffee grounds and some dishwasher liquid might do it. You may also want to try oxyclean powder if you have it, it is great with food based dyes. Good luck!

rockysmommy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by saracupcake

John Freda's Frizz Ease shampoo does it every time, all I have to do is wash my hair and the food colour is gone!

icon_lol.gif LOL!!!

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:02pm
post #16 of 20

I use an exfoliating face wash - St Ives Apricot Scrub works every time, and my hands are nice and soft after!

SimplyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyM Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:02pm
post #17 of 20

I've had lots of luck with Dawn dish soap.

Good luck!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:05pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by saracupcake

Not sure exactly what's in it but as a hairstylist, I'd recommend finding a new shampoo icon_lol.gif Just kidding!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:57pm
post #19 of 20

Scrubbing bubbles. Last year after I decorated Elmo my hands---front & back up to my wrists---were totally red! My cuticles were the worst. I sprayed them, waited for a couple of minutes, then went over them w/ a nail brush. You could never tell I had red hands! Always my go to now!

rockysmommy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Scrubbing bubbles. Last year after I decorated Elmo my hands---front & back up to my wrists---were totally red! My cuticles were the worst. I sprayed them, waited for a couple of minutes, then went over them w/ a nail brush. You could never tell I had red hands! Always my go to now!

Cool...Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%