Cookie Thickness

Baking By Acdogs Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 11:25pm by TracyLH

Acdogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acdogs Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 27

What is the best thickness to do NFSC? I am very new at this this will be first try to do cookies that will go out of the house!! My kids want to give them to friends for Vday.

26 replies
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 27

I personally like to do 3/8" thick, but I know a lot of people do 1/4". If you are really new to cookie-ing, Antonia74 has a great tutorial here on CC called "How to Bake and Decorate Cookies". Have fun! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 27

I roll them the thickness of a wooden spoon handle. I lay two wooden spoons on the counter and roll the dough between them (rolling pin will roll on top of the wooden spoon handles and you'll have a perfectly even cookie every time.)

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 27

I do 1/4"... I bought a length of square metal stock that is 1/4" thick, then cut it in half. Like Indydebi, I put one piece of each side so that the rolling pin rests on it and then roll the dough in between. Works great!

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 27

I roll mine really thick at 1/2". It makes putting the sticks in super easy!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 27

I roll mine just a little over a 1/4 inch. Any less and I always seem to burn them.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:46am
post #7 of 27

I am finding that 1/2 inch seem to spread too much, even though I love the look of a thick cookie. And I freeze my dough 10 minutes prior to cooking and it STILL spreads at 1/2 inch so I try to shoot for a bit shy of that, I guess it's 3/8 inch. !/4 inch is too thin I think.

TracyLH Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:38am
post #8 of 27

CakeDiva - I chill mine too before baking. I agree about spreading when they get thicker, but bakinccc makes it work. Hmmm... did you try pulling back on the baking powder? That should help.

Acdogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acdogs Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:35am
post #9 of 27

Thank you all very much I love the ideas for keeping them even.

CakeDiva73 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:36am
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

CakeDiva - I chill mine too before baking. I agree about spreading when they get thicker, but bakinccc makes it work. Hmmm... did you try pulling back on the baking powder? That should help.

What is bakinccc? I never thought about less baking powder - will have to give it a shot.

bakinccc Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:06am
post #11 of 27

CakeDiva73 - I'd love to say that bakinccc is some secret ingredient that makes all your cookie troubles go away but it's just my screen name!!!! haha

I have to say that my cookies (rolled out to 1/2") do spread a little but they never lose their shape and I don't ever chill anything...just mix, cut and bake. I suppose if I was using fondant the spreading would bother me but I use all royal so it's no big deal.

(I can't believe I'm up at 3am thinking about cookie bouquets I need to do tomorrow!! What better way to pass the time than to hop on cc for a while! Oh, by the way TracyLH...I think you need to get an avatar. I think as a true "forum addict" you should have one. I'd love to see what you'd pick!!!!)

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

Oh, by the way TracyLH...I think you need to get an avatar. I think as a true "forum addict" you should have one. I'd love to see what you'd pick!!!!)

Ditto that!

I make all my cookies 1/4". It's a good thickness for what I want. I too do not chill. Mix, roll, cut, and bake.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:00pm
post #13 of 27

bakinccc
Just was looking at your photos. They are gorgeous. Do you outline first and what do you put your RI base on with. Mine come out looking so nasty so I always use MMF. But they are never pretty

bakinccc Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 27

toleshed - thanks for the compliment. I always outline first then fill in usually with a disposable piping bag with the tip cut off. Sometimes I cut off just a tiny tip and other times more depending on how big the area is that I need to fill. If I'm doing really tiny areas then I'll slip a #2 tip into the bag for more control. If your icing is not going on smooth it might need to be thinned a bit. The self-leveling aspect of royal icing is wonderful. Start with a thin layer and after it self-levels if you notice any dips then simply add a little more right there. Just go slowly so you don't overfill.

Gemini - we'll keep working on TracyLH!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:26pm
post #15 of 27

icon_redface.gif duh! bakinccc, lol. sorry, I was so tired and loopy. Been making cookies for past 3 days straight and am starting to lose it! icon_smile.gif

bakinccc Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:18pm
post #16 of 27

No worries CakeDiva!!!!!!! I certainly don't have an ego so big as to assume everyone knows who or "what" bakinccc is!! It did give me a chuckle though!!! icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:54am
post #17 of 27

Bakinccc and Gemini - You are SO funny! Sweetdreams just PM'ed me a few days ago, asking where my avatar was. Was I perhaps waiting for the perfect trademark cookies? Get ready for this... I don't know how to do it! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Everytime I have tried, it tells me the image is too big and afte the gazillionth time, I just gave up! icon_lol.gif Sadly, I am technically challenged to resizing pics and haven't had the time to figure it out. I guess I will have to have my 13 year old do it as he surprised me and I now have a screen saver that has my cookies dancing in and out, left to right, fading, the whole bit. So I will have to set him to task on my avatar! thumbs_up.gif

As for the whole 'Forum Addict' moniker. I am mortified! Eek! I wish there was another name! icon_cry.gif Perhaps, "She Who Yaps Too Much". I even thought about not posting for a while in hopes that would cause it to go away, but I think it is not how often you do it, but your total number of yaps, I mean 'posts' that you have. "Addict', okay a bit true, but wish there was another name. icon_lol.gif Oh, boy, I wll get grief when DH sees this! icon_lol.gif Hey, at least my vice isn't shopping!

bakinccc Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:19am
post #18 of 27

Tracy - It took me forever to get my avatar too because of the resizing issue. They someone here on cc told me about shrinkpictures.com. You can shrink your pics to avatar size on there. So.....problem solved...we expect to see an avatar by morning!!!!!!!!!

GeminiRJ Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:40pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

Tracy - It took me forever to get my avatar too because of the resizing issue. They someone here on cc told me about shrinkpictures.com. You can shrink your pics to avatar size on there. So.....problem solved...we expect to see an avatar by morning!!!!!!!!!

This is what I did, and NO one can be more computer illiterate than me! If you type in shrinkpictures.com and search, it will even display their avatar link. Great site!

TracyLH Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm
post #20 of 27

Oh, you two are so helpful! Once I get my head above water, I will have to give it a whirl!!! Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:04pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLH

I guess I will have to have my 13 year old do it as he surprised me and I now have a screen saver that has my cookies dancing in and out, left to right, fading, the whole bit.

Can I adopt him? Briefly?

TracyLH Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:08pm
post #22 of 27

Sure! I am just counting down the days until he can build me a website! icon_lol.gif As of this morning, all of my cookies are now in their own little folders labelled by theme and my e-mail banner is a cute pink. I need to put this kid to work! icon_lol.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:19pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I roll them the thickness of a wooden spoon handle. I lay two wooden spoons on the counter and roll the dough between them (rolling pin will roll on top of the wooden spoon handles and you'll have a perfectly even cookie every time.)

That's a nice trick. I'll have to remember that when I can't find my bars.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:27pm
post #24 of 27

I bought those bands to put on my rolling pin - love 'em!
I roll my cookies 1/4" (I know it's strange, but I DON'T like a thick cookie icon_rolleyes.gif )
I actually use two of the bands, one that's 1/4" thick and a second wrapped on top that is the thickness of the silpat that I use for rolling (I roll out on the silpat so that I can drag the dough off/on the baking sheet)

as for the avatar, I use photoshop a lot, I can give instructions on how to do it with that, just let me know!

TracyLH Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:45pm
post #25 of 27

Thanks, Jen! It sounds like I may have an avatar one way or another! icon_biggrin.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:54pm
post #26 of 27

i like the look *and* taste of thick cookies. just eliminate the baking powder (melissa's recipe, NFSC w/ no BP) to avoid spreading...you will never miss it.

TracyLH Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:25pm
post #27 of 27

Ops! icon_redface.gif I'll have to throw another vote of 1/4" as I doubled checked my thickness after reading Jen's posting as I use two rings as well and thought, hmm... I better remeasure. 1/4" it is!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%