What Would You Do....

Baking By yellobutterfly Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 4:25am by rockysmommy

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 13

My obgyn, who delivered all 4 of my younguns, has been out of the office for almost a year now, being treated for some type of cancer (lymphoma I think?) anyway - it was very bad, and I honestly wasn't sure if he survived it, everytime I'd check in with his office, they kinda gave the run-around you know, he has good days and bad days, not doing so good, etc but nothing too specific.

We had to go to the ER last night b/c my little one cut her forehead and needed stitches, and he (my ob) was there getting his steroid shots. He said he's doing alright, they think they got the cancer but have been dealing with the horrible side-effects of the treatment itself, but that he should be in the office next week.

Soooo - I asked him what kind of goodies he likes and he ofcourse said anything is appreciated (he knows I bake, has ordered Italian cream cakes from me for his wife's birthday in the past). I was thinking a cookie bouquet might be nice, it would keep for a week or more, so he could eat it slowly, and might be nice and have a little "wow" factor to it...I guess I'm just wondering what kind of cookies you do for your obgyn who is recovering from cancer and finally going back to work? He's an older gentleman and such a sweetheart, really I'm just glad he survived! (And glad I don't have to find a different ob, hehehe...). Sorry to ramble, just thought the details might help in the cookie decision making!

12 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 13

The shapes I would do: stars, balloons, rounds. You could write something encouraging on the rounds, or just his name. You could use nice, cheery colors that coordinate with whatever container you decide to use. You're a sweetheart for wanting to do something so nice for him, and I'm guessing he will appreciate anything you do!

yellobutterfly Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:44am
post #3 of 13

Thanks Gemini, I'll have to look for a balloon cutter, I think that's a great idea!

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:51am
post #4 of 13

I'm a nurse and if you want humorous, try speculum cookies, uterus shaped cookies, newborn cookies, storks, teddy bears in scrubs and masks- honestly, the fact that you would spend so much time to make him an amazing hand-made gift, I'm sure he will be encouraged.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 13

Personally, I wouldn't do anything medic-y. If I were him I'd want to forget about it for a while. Something cheerful, jolly - maybe spring flowers or stars or something similar.

You're very sweet to think about doing this - I'm sure it will be appreciated.

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 13

As a cancer survivor I would say you are very nice to do this. The fact that we survive the treatment is something to celebrate. So go for it honey. Lots of cheer and congratulations for hanging in there. "Like the kitten hanging from a limb." Bright colors of course. Let us see pictures please.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 13

how about some smiley face cookies?

yellobutterfly Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie45

I'm a nurse and if you want humorous, try speculum cookies, uterus shaped cookies, newborn cookies, storks, teddy bears in scrubs and masks- honestly, the fact that you would spend so much time to make him an amazing hand-made gift, I'm sure he will be encouraged.

what's a speculum? sorry to sound dumb icon_redface.gif
ha! uterus cookies - do they have a cutter for that? lol. I like the idea of the newborn and stork cookies, oohhh teddy bears in scrubs would be super cute - has anyone done this before? (so I could look @ them for inspiration!).

yellobutterfly Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 13

hummingbird, tubbs, and jguilbeau - those are all cute ideas, I can't wait to play and see what I come up with!! Thanks for your sweet words, I feel like a lump - I should've done something sooner, he's been battling this for almost a year, but I hadn't done anything because he was in isolation and also for a while he couldn't eat "normal" food...it's so inspirational to me, for cancer survivors - that is a long, hard road, and I just want to celebrate his life and let him know how much we appreciate him and how much he was missed, etc.

Cookie45 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:11am
post #10 of 13

Yellow Butterfly- A speculum is that not-so-fun, sometimes cold metal instrument that drs. use when they do a pap smear. LOL-It sort of looks like a duck head. Now that I think of it-it probably wouldn't make a very appetizing cookie icon_biggrin.gif But I bet your doc would get a laugh out of it!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Cookie45 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:14am
post #11 of 13

ha! uterus cookies - do they have a cutter for that? lol.

Yes!!! Use an upside down pear or a light bulb. icon_lol.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:23am
post #12 of 13

I like the general cheer theme, rather than the MD theme.... we all want to get away from work sometimes. Celebrate life, not the job.... IMHO.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:25am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird59

As a cancer survivor I would say you are very nice to do this. The fact that we survive the treatment is something to celebrate. So go for it honey. Lots of cheer and congratulations for hanging in there. "Like the kitten hanging from a limb." Bright colors of course. Let us see pictures please.

That is so wonderful...my grandmother survived breast cancer...you are so right, it is something to celebrate!

It is such a sweet gesture to bake him cookies... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%