Help!!!! 3D Princess Dora Cake

Business By sweetie112 Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm by sweetie112

sweetie112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie112 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 7

Hoping there's somebody out there that can help me. Customer wants a 3D Princess Dora Cake. I have the cake pan to make the lower portion, but don't have a clue how to make (what material to use ie rice krispies, gumpaste chocolate)the head, hands and torso.

All input is greatly appreciated.

6 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 7

How large?

I'd do the torso with cake (supporting with cardboard and straws between dress and torso) and then the head in RKT.... Depending on how large you could carve the arms right into the cake torso and then just use some icing and fondant to accentuate them further. Hands out of fondant.

Good luck!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 7

Just a word of warning - make sure you have it supported well. RKT can get heavy. I did a curious george face and he weighted a ton. If I had to do over I would either find a way to make it hollow or use something inedible like carved styrofoam. He's not in my pics because he ended up being a rushed major disaster.

JMO

Judi

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 7

It depends on size and support. For a large cake you will need an internal support built into the base board. For a smaller one, the RKT should be fine, if well doweled all the way through.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 7

Just a suggestion, Doras head is very simple, not a lot of shape and detail. And if you carve it out of a styrofoam cake dummy it would be very light weight. And just in case you dont know this. You can shape and smooth styrofoam with another piece of styrofoam as a piece of sand paper. This only works on the rough white or green styrofoam. Does not work on the white pellet type styro

I hope this helps...

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 7

This is what I did for my niece's b-day a few years ago.

We did it like a barbie doll cake and used her Dora doll
LL

sweetie112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie112 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. The cake must be large enough to serve approximately 45 people. Is there a rule of thumb concerning proportions. Should the head be x times the size of the torso and the arms should not be longer than.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%