Gumpaste Flowers On Buttercream

Decorating By mpaigew Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 6:54pm by wakeandbake

mpaigew Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 11

This is a newbie question, but I am so used to working with fondant.....I just got an order for a baby shower cake, and the mom to be does not like fondant. The shower theme is cherry blossoms; how do I get gumpaste flowers to stick on crusted buttercream?! Do I wet the back of the flower first, or use royal? UGH! I hate working with buttercream!

Thanks for any help!!!!!!

10 replies
kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 11

An open circle piped of b'cream will hold them unless they are very big and heavy.

weirkd Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 11

You can use drinking straws inserted into the cake and your flowers (if on wires) can be inserted directly into them. You can also use royal icing in it to hold it into position.

Sugarflowers Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 11

Dots of buttercream will work just fine unless they are heavy and on the side. Buttercream isn't that bad!

Michele

jamiekwebb Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 11

I always use buttercream for mine as well. Just put a small mound where you want your flowers and voila they stick. Except on the side....

mpaigew Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 11

Yeah, they will be on the side. The baby bedding is the vine with cherry blossoms and dragonflies, so I was going to have the vine going around the cake with the flowers and dragonflies coming off (this will be only one tier, the second will match another part of the bedding.) The only reason that I am nervous to use bc to "glue" the flowers is because I tried that a few years ago with buttercream roses on bc, and they kept falling off!

Buttercream isn't THAT bad, I'd just MUCH, MUCH rather work with fondant!

jamiekwebb Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 11

Maybe if they were on a wire or pick you could glue them with BC and poke them in the side. You won't know until you try.

kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 11

B'cream roses are probably one of the heavest flowers there are. If you didn't put enough icing in an open circle (which creates a suction) & it was hot I can see why they slipped. GP cherry blossoms are small & light. You should not have any problems.

mpaigew Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 11

Ok, I'll try it! It WAS about 95 degrees that day, so hopefully I'll have better luck this time (February in NY...no 95 degree days in sight!) There are going to be a lot of cherry blossoms, so I'd rather not use wire...nothing more unappetizing than having to pick a ton of wired flowers out of a slice of cake!

Thanks for the help! =)

kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 11

.......nothing more unappetizing than having to pick a ton of wired flowers out of a slice of cake!......

Here, here! I avoid wires at all costsicon_smile.gif

wakeandbake Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 11

i use "gum glue" to attach my gumpaste flowers to my cakes. it works great as long as you make sure that the buttercream has crusted really well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%