Fading Gumpaste

Decorating By suzie1962 Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 8:36am by ceshell

suzie1962 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 6

This isn't really a disaster, but I couldn't figure out where else to put it, so hopefully someone will have the answer.

I made some gumpaste/fondant figures and tinted the gumpaste pink (I used wilton rose). I left them to dry and then put them in a plastic bag to store until this weekend when the cake is due and the pink has turned this strange salmon color. Has anyone had that happen to them?

I would think that most people make their gumpaste figures ahead of time so they will dry and also because they are time consuming, but what do you do about the fading?

Thanks.

5 replies
peg818 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 6

Pink is very unstable and fades very quickly. You can try painting them to get back to color you need.

I have switched to using crystal colors and dont have the fading issues i used to have you can find them at www..sugarpaste.com

jer702 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 6

I had this same problem while attempting gumpaste roses. The color that it started off was burgundy(wilton) but once it dried it came out to a lighter purple/pink color. I'll definately keep checking to see the replies for this topic.

suzie1962 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 6

What would I paint them with? The food coloring? It was gel, do I mix it with vodka or water?

peg818 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:40am
post #5 of 6

I use powdered color or petal dust to paint with.

ceshell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 8:36am
post #6 of 6

The red dyes currently used in food coloring are unstable, especially when exposed to light. You will see the same problem with anything that uses red e.g. purple, brown, orange. The solution is to make sure to store them (even while drying) in a dark place. The red color basically bleaches out, for lack of proper terminology.

I did a bunny rabbit once, it was on my counter for a mere two hours but the direct sun hit it...the nose and inside of the ears went from pink to pure white! icon_eek.gif

You can either paint them with the food coloring diluted ideally with vodka (strongest you can buy) or everclear is even better (but hard to get). Or petal dust as peg818 suggested. You can also use chalk if you don't have the correct color dust...if it's not meant to be eaten. (Chalk is nontoxic, but obviously not meant to be consumed.) The "red" chalk is pretty much pink. I used it the next time I did a bunny and also to add "blush" aine2-style to figures' cheeks and mouths.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%