Did You Know This About Vinegar?

Lounge By dldbrou Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm by stephanie214

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 13

ALL-PURPOSE HOUSEHOLD WONDER!!! Vinegar! (Cheap, too!)

1. Kill grass on walks and driveways. Pour full strength on unwanted grass.

2. Kill weeds. Spray full strength on tops of weeds. Reapply on any
new growth until plants have starved.

3. Increase soil acidity. In hard water areas, add a cup of vinegar to
a gallon of tap water for watering acid loving plants like
rhododendrons, gardenias, or azaleas. The vinegar will release iron
in the soil for the plants to use.

4. Neutralize garden lime. Rinse your hands liberally with vinegar
after working with garden lime to avoid rough and flaking skin. Clean
pots before repotting, rinse with vinegar to remove excess lime.

5. Deter ants. Spray vinegar around door and window frames, under
appliances, and along other known ant trails.

6. Keep car windows frost free. Coat the windows the night before with
a solution of three parts vinegar to one part water.

7. Polish car chrome. Apply full strength with a soft cloth.

8. Soak new propane lantern wicks in vinegar for several hours. Let
dry before using. Will burn longer and brighter.

9. Clean milking equipment. Rinse with vinegar to leave system clean,
odorless, and bacteria free without harmful chemical residue.

10. Remove skunk odor from a dog. Rub fur with vinegar.

11. Keep cats away. Sprinkle vinegar on an area to discourage cats
from walking, sleeping, peeing, or scratching on it.

12. Keep dogs from scratching ears. Clean the inside of the ears with
a soft cloth dipped in diluted vinegar.

13. Keep away fleas and mange. Add a little vinegar to your pet's
drinking water.

14. Keep chickens from pecking each other. Add cider vinegar to their
drinking water.

15. Make buttermilk. Add a tablespoon of vinegar to a cup of milk and
let it stand 5 minutes to thicken.

16. Tenderize meat. Soak in vinegar overnight.

12 replies
dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 13

love vineger! used it for cleaning veggie and fruits and so much more! oh, and don't forget eating it with your food keeps your blood sugar from soaring : )

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 13

Another great use.........if you cook fish for dinner and want to get rid of the smell in your kitchen, place a small bowl of white vinegar on your kitchen counter and it draws the smell out of the room.

I also use it to wash all my windows, inside and out. I fill a bucket with hot water and add about 1 cup of white vinegar. I use a "squeegie" and they are always streak free.

Don't forget about using it to clean your automatic coffee pot a couple of times a year, just run it through a cycle and than repeat with plain water a couple of times.

Removes the smell and stains from inside your dishwasher. Pour an entire 32 oz bottle of white vinegar into an empty dishwasher bottom. Let stand overnight and than run your DW on empty to remove the stains.

LOVE the stuff, I buy it by the gallon, it's uses are endless and it's cheap.

Edit to add~ anybody else have some other uses for vinegar?

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:51am
post #4 of 13

It's also a disinfectant. When I'm not cooking for profit I disinfect my counters, etc with a 50-50 mixture of cider vinegar and water. It's inexpensive, safe and has a million uses. thumbs_up.gif
Unfortunately, bleach is a "requirement" here if you are selling food to the public, so I use it then. Honestly, I think they should accept peroxide as an alternative. It's much safer. And... have you ever noticed you never smell bleach in a doctor's office... interesting. icon_rolleyes.gif

Needless to say, I LOVE vinegar!!! thumbs_up.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 13

there was a study done (i think at harvard?) that showed if you spray hydrogen peroxide (another favorite of mine!) and vinegar on veggies, counters, etc. its just as effective at killing germs as bleach.

that would never fly with the health department though but it works great for home use especially with small children...

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:05am
post #6 of 13

We used vinegar in our restaurant to make the fresh cut french fries crisp. Soak the raw fries in water with just enough vinegar to smell it overnight. Then when you fry them you will get really crisp fries and they won't taste like vinegar either.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:20am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

We used vinegar in our restaurant to make the fresh cut french fries crisp. Soak the raw fries in water with just enough vinegar to smell it overnight. Then when you fry them you will get really crisp fries and they won't taste like vinegar either.

Even if you could taste it, that would be like salt and vinegar chips...Mmmm!!! That is a really good tip too, so tfs!

kellertur Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:53am
post #8 of 13

Here in Maine we LOVE vinegar on fries.... YUM.
Especially when they are saturated in vinegar and a bit soggy.
Malt vinegar works great! icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:54am
post #9 of 13

I clean with vinegar also. So much healthier than breathed in all the chemicals for cleaning.

kellertur Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:17am
post #10 of 13

I also use Tea-tree oil & water when I want to santize and have my kitchen smell nice at the same time. Tea tree oil is another amazingly safe and effective sanitizer. It will create an invisible sheild on your toilet bowl and repel any stains. It cleans like "nobody's business", no pun intended. icon_rolleyes.gif

I hate having bleach in my house... especially with a very clever toddler (who can pick locks!) We try to be as Green as can be, but Bleach is code. I only use it when baking for customers, but that is some scary stuff. I asked about Peroxide when I was inspected, but alas, they said it wasn't approved by the health department. icon_cry.gif

I could do a commercial for vinegar and tea tree... that's how much I love them both. hat1.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #11 of 13

You can use vinegar to clean fruits and veggies. I use a combination of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (not mixed; in two separate spray bottles) for cleaning produce.

My husband also uses Bragg's apple cider vinegar (the vinegar that is sold with the mother - Google if you don't know what this is) to cure his heartburn. One shot of it is all it takes. Plus vinegar with the mother has many beneficial nutritional properties.

And of course vinegar completely takes out mildewy smells from laundry - a cup in the wash takes out odors!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:26am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Here in Maine we LOVE vinegar on fries.... YUM.
Especially when they are saturated in vinegar and a bit soggy.
Malt vinegar works great! icon_smile.gif

OMG that sounds delicious. ::drools::

I use vinegar in the dishwasher to help get out odors. I haven't tried it in the wash, but I'll keep that in mind for when my boys start playing sports and become involved in other smelly hobbies.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 13

Good for leg cramps, etc., also...just saturate the spot with vinegar and then pat regular table salt while the spot is still wet.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%