Football Helmet Instructions

Decorating By KittisKakes Updated 8 Nov 2010 , 6:18pm by mareg

KittisKakes Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 16

I'm going to put together a tutorial, but my schedule is pretty busy until the end of February. So, in the meantime, here's a quickie version.

These are basic instructions. I have seen many helmets out there that have lots of extra details on them, but this will at least get you started in the right direction.

Let's see...The bottom layer of the large helmet is made of 2 - 8" layers and the top layer is a dome pan with an 8" base. Actually, I used the pan you see on TV that Betty Crocker sells for a cake within a cake , but any large, sports ball pan with an 8" diameter should do. I do have a cake board under the half ball cake for added support, with the edge cut off. The edge needs to be trimmed for when you go to carve out the shape of the cake. (Look at the pic). I dont usually put supports in for the top layer, but it wouldnt hurt.

Stack the cakes and then stake them with a dowel. I dont freeze them anymore since Ive gotten used to cutting into the cake, but if this is the first time you will be doing it, I suggest you freeze the cake before you carve it. Freeze the cake for a couple of hours. While it is frozen, using a serrated knife, cut away from the cake until the desired shape is achieved. Next, crumb coat it while it is still frozen. Once it comes to room temperature, ice it. I use a crusting buttercream icing. Let it "crust" for 10 - 15 minutes and then smooth it.

For the logo, I used the pin prick method in the past. I printed up the size I wanted and then poked holes through the outline. I carefully put that on the side of the cake and ran my finger over the holes. When you remove the paper, the holes will be imprinted on the icing. Then you pretty much connect the dots to get the picture. Fill in the picture with the appropriate colors. Fortunately, I now have an edible image printer.

For the face mask, use gumpaste, or at least a 50/50 mix of gumpaste/fondant. Fondant by itself will soften when it is in contact with the buttercream.

What I did was roll out ropes of gumpaste/fondant. I used a 1-1/2 gallon pitcher, covered with wax paper, that had an 8" diameter, so a hat box or some kind of cylinder with the same diameter would work. I rolled 2 pieces about 1 long each and another piece about 2 long. These form the center, vertical lines. (Follow the pics). I then took another rope and started about half way up one side of the pitcher, then looped it over to the same spot on the other side. Then lay 2 horizontal ropes. The ropes touched the countertop on both sides of the pitcher. There was probably a space of 1" to 1 -1/2" between them. I usually do this a week in advance to make sure it dries really well. The two ends of the horizontal ropes are the "posts" that are put into the cake. I believe the front part of the mask was just over 2" from top to bottom. If you have to paint it, don't forget to do the inside part of the mask, because that will be noticeable.

You can do a smaller version if you want to, just use 2 - 6" layers for the bottom and one of the Wilton sports ball pans will fit. For the face mask I used a can the size of a large formula can.

I hope some of you guys find this helpful. And if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

15 replies
7yyrt Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 16

I don't do many football things, but this looks like it would work for an astronaut helmet, as well.

SHADDI Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 16

thanks for sharing

subaru Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks so much! My nephew will love this!

Molly2 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 16

Thank you so much

dnrlee Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 16

that is awesome! Thank you!

tame Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 16

2kiddos Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 16

thanks for sharing!!!

Peridot Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 16

Fantastic! Now let's hope that CC doesn't wipe out my saved forum replies.

trishvanhoozer Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 16

OMG KittisKakes!! I LOVE YOUR CAKE!! Avid Steelers fan! I have two jersey cakes on my photos. I am so going to do this cake for my brother. He will love it. Thank you so much for sharing. That is awesome of you!

emilyiacobucci Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 16

thanks so much!

lyndim Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

amygortoncakes Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you. Will definetely try this if the Chargers take the AFC West this year.

chrisviz Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 4:51pm
post #14 of 16

Awesome thanks! I told my brother if the Steelers make it to the Superbowl this year I would make him a helmet cake... was wondering how I was gonna do it! icon_smile.gif

mareg Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:18pm
post #15 of 16

This is great! Thank you!

mareg Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:18pm
post #16 of 16

This is great! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%