How Do I Drap A Flag Over A Cake?

Decorating By marion123 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 4:37pm by formerbuckeye

marion123 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:50am
post #1 of 6

Morning Everyone..

I have a quick question.. Does anyone know how I would drap a flag over two cakes that are in shape of numbers?.. I was going to do a candy mold or a buttercream frozen transfer. What do you think? Any idea's, any pictures you could share w. me?
Thank you

5 replies
leepat Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 6

I would use fondant for the flag. It will drape a lot easier and once you get it draped you can paint it with a flag design.

kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 6

Thought not over #s I have a flag draped cake in my photos. It's on pg 4.....I think the 1st pic I posted.....
As was said, make just roll out a piece of fondant; airbrush or dust the colors/strips etc then drape over the #s.
A molded piece of candy certainly won't's too hard.
Not sure if Fz BCT would work but I doubt it as it is usually rather thick so it would'nt drape either.

ski Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 6

I actually rolled out a thinner white piece of fondant the size I wanted then made individual stripes and stars. I kept them under acetate I got from Walmart until I needed them(prevent from drying out) I think it made a cleaner looking cake. It's in my photos if you want to see.

Sugarchic Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:36am
post #5 of 6

I got instructions from some one on sugarbuzz and this is what I did for a friend's cake.

First roll out some white fondant wide enough to have 13 stripes. When you've rolled it out put some painters tape to make stripes then airbrush red. Remove tape and it leaves you with red and white stripes.Once the red is dry carefully take it and drape it.
Please make sure you measure the width of your flag that way you can roll a piece of blue fondant the same width.Take the blue piece and fold in the piece that is touching the red and white so they match up together. Add star cutouts and your done.

I'll try to post a pic tommorrow.

formerbuckeye Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 6

I made a retirment cake for my husband (in pictures) and made a flag out of fondant, air brushed it and then draped it on the cake. When I went to drape it, it was cracking at the bottom. I believe that I should have used gumpaste which has more strength and flexiblity. I could have rolled it out thinner and it would have draped better. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%