How Do You Carve Whimsical Cakes Like These?

Decorating By Chippi Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 3:59pm by chilz822

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:44am
post #1 of 6

I know how you do the slants horizontally but how to you carve so they are wider at top and smaller at the bottom? do you put a corset around them? hahaha icon_smile.gif Seriously I would really like to know. Here's one example of a trillion on here and I love them all.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1289394

Chippi icon_smile.gif

5 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:58am
post #2 of 6

Chippi,
From what I've read, it's easiest to do this upside down. Build your section, carefully flip it then start carving (or shaving) at an angle, small to large, all the way around the section. When you get the shape you like, flip it back rightside up and ice and/or cover.

Let me know how this goes for you, this is on my list of things to do. My concern is in covering and tapering down from a wide top to a more narrow bottom, that the fondant would tend to pucker more. The very helpful folks here have assured me that it won't, as long as you take your time and work the fondant carefully.

HTH!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:16am
post #3 of 6

There is a article that gives directions for one method. Here it is
http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.htmls
HTH

Sugarchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:53am
post #4 of 6

Okay put your knife in about a 1/2 inch or 1 inch in the cake and slant your knife in and cut around the cake at the same angle. Hope this helps

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:43am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

Chippi,
From what I've read, it's easiest to do this upside down. Build your section, carefully flip it then start carving (or shaving) at an angle, small to large, all the way around the section. When you get the shape you like, flip it back rightside up and ice and/or cover.

Let me know how this goes for you, this is on my list of things to do. My concern is in covering and tapering down from a wide top to a more narrow bottom, that the fondant would tend to pucker more. The very helpful folks here have assured me that it won't, as long as you take your time and work the fondant carefully.

HTH!

Yes I was thinking the same thing too. I need tons more practice with fondant to get that right! lol Also, is it better to freeze your cakes before carving? or maybe ice/fill then freeze then carve? Thank you so much for your input Chilz! I cannot wait to try doing one of these! icon_smile.gif

Going to check that article out cakeandpartygirl! Thanks!!!
Thank you also Sugarchic!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 6

Fill, freeze, carve, ice, fondant.
or
Freeze, fill, carve, ice, fondant.
(just make sure 'freeze' is somewhere before 'carve')
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%