Newbie Needs Pricing Suggestions

Decorating By Cinderina Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm by cakes22

Cinderina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderina Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:17am
post #1 of 2

I'm trying to get an idea of cake pricing. I'm fairly new at cake decorating. It's been more of a hobby over the last year. People have seen and tasted my practice cakes and are asking what I charge. I just did a 50th anniversary 2-tiered cake (6" & 8") and a checkered flag sheet cake (2-11x15) this past week. I have a request for a 2-tiered baby shower cake this month too. Most people are not fond of fondant. They would rather have buttercream with fondant accents. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA
LL
LL

1 reply
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 2

There are different ways of pricing. Some use a price matrix, others want to make a certain amount on a cake (say $40) and they add up the costs + amount of time (hourly rate to decorate) then tack on $25. If you search local bakeries in your area or on the web, you can get an idea of what to charge for similiar cakes. I have a general price guideline that I researched for a couple of days. This was calling to local grocery stores & cake shops then took an average.
Your cakes are amazing! Don't sell yourself short. It does take time & effort & care, and that has a price!! icon_cool.gif
hth & good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%