Fondant Problems

Decorating By pastrychef22 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 6:11am by pastrychef22

pastrychef22 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:51am
post #1 of 7

Ok I am using the satin ice fondant. By the time i get done rooling out and onto the cake it is starting to dry out it seems and crack in places. What am i doing wrong and how can i fix it.

6 replies
ski Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:25am
post #2 of 7

Try a little bit of shortening kneaded into it. Also make sure you aren't rolling it out too thick:about 1/4 inch is all you need. Lastly try smoothing down all the side tops then work your way down and around..the weight can make it crack. Good Luck icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:36am
post #3 of 7

What are you rolling it on: PS, CS, or crisco???

Rae

pastrychef22 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:43am
post #4 of 7

I am rolling it out on a rubber mate for rooling fondant out on so that it will not stick. And rolling with a plastic fondant rolling pin.

pastrychef22 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:44am
post #5 of 7

I am rolling it out on a rubber mate for rooling fondant out on so that it will not stick. And rolling with a plastic fondant rolling pin.

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:50am
post #6 of 7

Well, it may just be the need to "knead" in some crisco before rolling it out, if you're not adding any CS or PS to it.

I roll it on a piece of vinyl smeared with a little crisco. If I'm rolling a large piece that will take some real time, I put another piece of vinyl on top and roll it in between the two--that really inhibits drying.

HTH
Rae

pastrychef22 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:11am
post #7 of 7

Thanks alot I will try that next time I am working with the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%