Would Love To Try Ganche

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 12:17am by hammer1

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:13am
post #1 of 19

Dont know if i spelled Ganche right or not but anyways i have seen receipes on this site and would love to try it i know you pour it over your cake but how does it go all the way down on the sides and do you pour it on to the top of the center of the cake and let it flow down? Thanks

18 replies
hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:10am
post #2 of 19

i love ganache....don't know about anyone else, but we ice our cakes with a thin layer of butterceam first, smooth it.....then we pour the ganache directly in the middle of the top layer, it will run across the top and down the side. occassionally you might have to add a little more around the edge to completely cover. ... there is a perfect thickness for pouring, it comes with practise...,myh friend let the ganache cool too much before she poured and had a real mess on her hands...her is our last totally ganached cake.
LL

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:42am
post #3 of 19

Hi, I love ganache too! Here is a tutorial from sugarshack's blog on how she cover a cake with ganache.

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html

You need to go down a bit to see that post.

HTH.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:09am
post #4 of 19

I tried to make whipped ganache last weekend and it did not come out right. I wanted to swirl it on top of cupcakes, but it was too runny. Did I not whip it enough?

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:14am
post #5 of 19

My regular ganache didn't turn out great since I didn't let it cool enough to pour (too runny as in the other demo), so I let it really cool and tried to whip it up and it turned out perfect. When whipping it up, it really has to be cool completely. delicious! Whipped up just like buttercreme.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:30am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

My regular ganache didn't turn out great since I didn't let it cool enough to pour (too runny as in the other demo), so I let it really cool and tried to whip it up and it turned out perfect. When whipping it up, it really has to be cool completely. delicious! Whipped up just like buttercreme.

I didn't let mine cool at all..... thank you vickymacd.. I will try again!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:40am
post #7 of 19

I saw someone wrote about this sometime over the past week but I'm not sure of the thread. They said to get the really smooth finish, you start in the middle of the cake and pour the ganache in a circular motion - don't stop if you miss a bit, just get it on the next pass was the advice. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:51am
post #8 of 19
prcutie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prcutie71 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:26pm
post #9 of 19

Does ganache need to be refridgerated???

bashini Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:30pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by prcutie71

Does ganache need to be refridgerated???

I put it in the fridge when I want to get it to a spreadable consistancy. If I want to pour it on a cake, I let it cool down at the counter. And the leftover goes in the fridge too.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:30pm
post #11 of 19

Good question! I know people put it in frig to set it up and harden.
Guess if left out, it's still a bit sticky soft.
Now I wonder being it has the cream in it.

Anyone?

bashini Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:32pm
post #12 of 19

vickymacd, I never put my ganached cake in the fridge. And you can keep it out for 2-3 days.

prcutie71 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:35pm
post #13 of 19

Awesome! Thanks, bashini for answering my question...I always wanted to try it but just don't have room in fridge...
Any recipe you suggest???
I think I am going to try it for my anniversary cake this weekend...
Wish me luck...lol

bashini Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:42pm
post #14 of 19

My recipe is in 1:2 ratio of cream and chocolate. I boils the milk and then pour it on the chocolate.

HTH & Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

prcutie71 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks so much!
I'll post a pic...
Have a happy cake day!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:34pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1

i love ganache....don't know about anyone else, but we ice our cakes with a thin layer of butterceam first, smooth it.....then we pour the ganache directly in the middle of the top layer, it will run across the top and down the side. occassionally you might have to add a little more around the edge to completely cover. ... there is a perfect thickness for pouring, it comes with practise...,myh friend let the ganache cool too much before she poured and had a real mess on her hands...her is our last totally ganached cake.

Hammer1 your cake is awesome thats what i want to acheive, maybe with lots of practice, can you make white as well??

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #17 of 19

I absolutely love using ganache. I got the recipe from Collette Peter's last year and have used it every chance I get. (left over ganache is wonderful for making smores!) The recipe calls for 12 oz choc (I prefer good semisweet choc chips) 8 oz cream and 2 teaspoons of vanilla or liqueur of your choice (sherry sherry is delish). Put the choc in a bowl, heat cream just to a boil, pour over choc and cover for 5 min. Whisk gently (to aviod bubbles) until all choc is dissolved and let cool to room temp. You can refrigerate to hasten cooling but watch it so it doesn't cool too much. I crumb coat my cakes very lightly with ganache and let that set while the rest of my ganache cools. Then I start pouring small amounts over the top and smooth it over and down the sides. It'll stay soft enough to work but I try not to work it too much. It takes practice but it's essentially pretty easy too once you do one or two. You can cool it more and whip it into a nice whipped choc icing that melts in your mouth.

Ganache is wonderful on a good deep dark choc cake. Darn Good Choc Cake is great and so is Collette Peter's Chocolate Bourbon Coconut Cake oh YUMMMM!!

**I always refrigerate my ganache covered cakes for several hours to over night, depending on the occasion, and it makes a most luscious
to- die-for-cake. As a matter of fact I wish I had a chunk right now, dang!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:17am
post #19 of 19

yes you can make white chocolate ganache, just make sure you use white chocolate not white coating.

left over ganache when cooled in the fridg. makes great truffles...or a great treat just eaten off the spoon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%