Help...quick Question On Freshness

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 1:39am by indydebi

BlondiezBakery Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 8

I have a neighbor that wants me to make a baby shower cake for next sunday. I am leaving for a trip to mexico on Friday morning.

If I finish the cake up on Thursday night will it still be ok for Sunday?

She has no problem with getting the cake from me two days early, but I just want to make sure it will still taste good.

7 replies
BlondiezBakery Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 8

sorry to be pushy, but I have to call her back with a 'yes' or 'no' answer.

LadyBugMom Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 8

I don't know how much help I can be but I'll try. Okay what I would do, now making sure I understand it's the sunday right after the friday your leaving right and not a week later? If so, you could either decorate it just before you leave and that way it's still frozen when she gets it. Cakes are better the day after thawing anyway. Or if she's nervous have her put it in her fridge through saturday and have her take it out saturday night or Sunday morning for the party.
I had to leave on vacation and have a freezer in my garage, I had the cake all decorated and I had her come pick it up and take it. SHe didn't want to store it. THat worked just fine. ANyway I hope that helps it's at least a response. THanks ladybug

BlondiezBakery Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 8

The sunday shower is two days after I leave. So, the cake would need to last through Friday, Saturday, and just part of Sunday.

If I put fondant on the cake will it still be ok to refrigerate or freeze?

wethreec Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 8

I have done this several times and the cakes are always fine. I would not refrigerate. Just leave out. Once they are sealed with the BC or fondant...they will be just fine.

sweet_teeth Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 8

The cake will be fine if you finish it Thursday night and they eat it Sunday. She doesn't need to refrigerate it.. unless their is a perishable filling in it.

LadyBugMom Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 8

With fondant, their right it will be fine, sorry duh moment. LadyBug

indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #8 of 8

Yes, it will be fine. FOndant or Buttercream. Once a cake is iced, the icing acts just like the plastic wrapper on a loaf of bread ... it seals the cake and keeps the air out, which is a contributing factor in drying out a cake.

I've tasted my cakes on Day Seven and they tasted just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%