Sugarshack Variations

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm by pinkpiggie78

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 49

Let me begin by saying that Sharon is the Goddess of Buttercream, and her knowledge, techniques and willingness to share are GREATLY appreciated!

I have followed her recipe, watched the dvd and applied the techniques and they work like a charm. However, the bc recipe I used prior was Buttercream Dream (part shortening, part butter) and I really prefer this flavor.

I made a batch for a cake last week and the only thing I changed in her recipe was half shortening, half butter. Sadly, it didn't produce the same result. Air bubbles galore.

Does anyone make a variation of her recipe that includes butter? I know that the important part is filling the mixing bowl to the top...what recipe do you use to produce that result (ingredients to top of bowl)?

48 replies
evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 49

I can make a suggestion as to the air bubbles, since my BC is also half and half. After it's all mixed up, turn the mixer to low and mix some more. Alternatively, you can stir with a wide rubber spatula, folding and pressing the BC onto itself for a few minutes. That should help deflate bubbles.

SeriousCakes has a good YouTube video showing how she does it.

HTH!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 49

thanks for the kind words Heather.

hmmmmmmmmmm.. i do not know why just subbing half butter would give you air. were you able to get it airless with just the shortening recipe prior to this?

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherly30

Let me begin by saying that Sharon is the Goddess of Buttercream, and her knowledge, techniques and willingness to share are GREATLY appreciated!

I have followed her recipe, watched the dvd and applied the techniques and they work like a charm. However, the bc recipe I used prior was Buttercream Dream (part shortening, part butter) and I really prefer this flavor.

I made a batch for a cake last week and the only thing I changed in her recipe was half shortening, half butter. Sadly, it didn't produce the same result. Air bubbles galore.

Does anyone make a variation of her recipe that includes butter? I know that the important part is filling the mixing bowl to the top...what recipe do you use to produce that result (ingredients to top of bowl)?

i totally agree!! This happened to me as well when i mixed a batch with 4 cups hi ratio and 1 cup butter. haven't tried it again.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 49

I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 hiratio without any problems.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:00am
post #6 of 49

I too use half butter/half hi-ratio. The times when I get the most air bubbles are when I have made a smaller batch. When I make a "bowl filling" batch, the way Sharon suggests, it comes out silky smooth.

cas17 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:07am
post #7 of 49

hmmm i will have to try again : )

sugarshack Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:10am
post #8 of 49

add more total volume to your batch if you are having air.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:44am
post #9 of 49

I use Serious Cakes recipe as well and it works the best for me to double it. I have the 5 quart KA and that ends up just right to keep the paddle submerged. Once I order Sharon's DVD's next month and get a hold of some hi-ratio shortening I'll be trying her recipe and techniques. Can't wait to get them!!!

Heatherly30 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 49

Could it also have something to do with the buttercream not having enough liquid? I never seem to be able to get the right consistency. When I iced this last cake, the bc seemed real thick, maybe a little difficult to spread, but also wouldn't really "stick" to the sides of the cake. Make sense? So could the thickness of the bc give it more air? Before I started the second tier I added some more liquid to thin it out. Think I added too much that time. It was just a mess. The final product turned out ok, but man, I wonder if I'll ever get this down!

Sharon...I did have better luck when using all hi ratio shortening. It was hit or miss, if I had air bubbles, they were minimal.

Heatherly30 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 49

Ok, maybe I found part of the problem. I have a 4.5 qt Kitchen Aid. I did a search for the sugarshack recipe in a 4.5 quart. pjaycakes recommended 4 1/2 cups hi ratio, and I only used 4 (well 2 c. shortening, 2 c. butter). SO...the extra 1/2 cup that I eliminated probably made it too dry, and caused it to be too thick and then possibly the air bubbles. (I know I had it written down as 4 1/2 cups, losing my mind!)

I'll give it another try. However, do any of you have any recommendations on determining if you have the right consistency? In this recipe we add the liquids prior to adding the ps. When I'm adding these liquids, should it have a certain creaminess? What would you compare the final product to? If I feel that it's too thick at the end, is it ok to add more liquid, or is that a no no?

I realize it will take a while to master the smoothing process, but if my bc is all wrong to begin with, I'll never be able to smooth it correctly!

sugarshack Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 49
Quote:

Could it also have something to do with the buttercream not having enough liquid?

yes

I never seem to be able to get the right consistency. When I iced this last cake, the bc seemed real thick, maybe a little difficult to spread, but also wouldn't really "stick" to the sides of the cake. Make sense?

yes

So could the thickness of the bc give it more air?

yes, if it just a tad too thick it will not filll the bowl properly and cause air. but only add a teaspoon or 2 of liquid more at a time. it does not take much to make a difference

Sharon...I did have better luck when using all hi ratio shortening. It was hit or miss, if I had air bubbles, they were minimal.

yes, hi ratio does make a difference but the mixing technique does too.

here is the clip of me making a batch if u have not seen it:

sugarshack Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:51pm
post #13 of 49

Sharon's Crusting Buttercream Icing

** I make the following recipe to fill my 5 quart mixer. Adjust the recipe volume to fill your mixer properly as discussed in the video.

5 generous cups Sweetex shortening, or other brand of hi ratio
5 pounds powdered sugar
4 TBS Wedding Bouquet flavoring (or substitute your flavoring of choice in the appropriate amount)
11-12 TBS hot coffee creamer liquid (as discussed in video)

Cream the shortening , flavorings, and hot liquid with paddle attachment until well combined and creamy. Then stream in first 3 pounds of powdered sugar with mixer running at speed one. When incorporated somewhat, stop and scrape down sides of bowl well. Stream in last 2 pounds of powdered sugar at speed one. When incorporated, turn the mixer up to speed 6 and let it beat for 5-7 minutes until very smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl very frequently while the mixer is going at speed 6.

The goal is to get all of the icing down into the belly of the bowl and fill the bowl from side to side with no air gaps around the walls, as well as covering the paddle up to the springs. If the icing is making a sucking or "kissing" noise after all the sugar is in, add just a few drops more of liquid, while scraping down the sides,with the mixer running, until that stops. You should create a bowl full of icing side to side, where the paddle is completely submerged and beating in a vacuum under the icing. 5-7 minutes at speed 6 and you should have a smooth as silk and nearly airless icing.Cool before using.

Youtube clip of Sharon making icing:

sugarshack Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:01pm
post #14 of 49
Quote:

Ok, maybe I found part of the problem. I have a 4.5 qt Kitchen Aid. I did a search for the sugarshack recipe in a 4.5 quart. pjaycakes recommended 4 1/2 cups hi ratio, and I only used 4 (well 2 c. shortening, 2 c. butter). SO...the extra 1/2 cup that I eliminated probably made it too dry, and caused it to be too thick and then possibly the air bubbles. (I know I had it written down as 4 1/2 cups, losing my mind!)

that and that the total volume is the key to filling the mixer properly

I'll give it another try. However, do any of you have any recommendations on determining if you have the right consistency?

there really is no way to "tell" you it's right. that pretty much comes from trial and error and lots of practice and then you just "know".( that's a big help huh?)

In this recipe we add the liquids prior to adding the ps.

you can add more later in the mixing process if u need too

When I'm adding these liquids, should it have a certain creaminess? What would you compare the final product to?

it will be softer right after you make it from all the heat. i cover mine and let it totally cool and then it firms up . my final product is pretty stiff cuz that is how i like it to get sharp edges, but a softer icing will smooth well too.

If I feel that it's too thick at the end, is it ok to add more liquid, or is that a no no?

yes!! you can'

I realize it will take a while to master the smoothing process, but if my bc is all wrong to begin with, I'll never be able to smooth it correctly!

do not fret; you will get it. it does take some trial and error and practice, so be patient with yourself. we all struggle with this stuff. I sure did.

Tipper12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tipper12 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:51am
post #15 of 49

I recently received Sugarshack's DVD and then realized I have a 4.5 KA. Have made two batches of bc and they are good, but I was wondering if anyone has the measurements specifically for a 4.5 KA? Thanks so much for assisting this newbie!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:01pm
post #16 of 49

I have a related question about the BC. I haven't made this recipe yet because I typically don't need so much icing at one time. Can this recipe be frozen? If so, how would you re-whip it without adding air the second time since there would be much less icing? (sorry to hijack this thread!)

Heatherly30 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:15pm
post #17 of 49

Tipper12...

Here's the modified recipe that was originally posted by pjaycakes for a 4.5 Kitchen Aid:

4 1/2 c. hi-ratio shortening
4 lbs. powdered sugar
4 tbsp flavoring
2 tsp salt
12 tab coffee creamer mixture

As I recall (since I have screwed it up here recently), sometime the full 4 lbs of ps is too much. I have to leave a little bit in the bag.

Cherrycakes...I will also be interested in hearing if we get a reply about this question. Not quite sure how to re-whip a half full bowl.

sugarshack Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm
post #18 of 49

as far as rewhipping i do one of two things:

1) i use the frozen scraps for other things like piping, cupcakes, and FBT's (if i did those, just an example) where hand mixing it would be fine

2) if i want it perfect and airless again to ice another cake i either:

a) combine a few different batches of "scraps" to fill the mixer to top again and just let it rip or

b) use a small bowl that I can fill with the scrap batch and a hand mixer ( add just a tad of HOT creamer) and go at it. again the bowl has to be more deep than wide, be totally full side to side and the beaters submerged for this to work. also, you need a powerful hand mixer or you will burn up your motor. ( ask me how I know)

HTH!

you can freeze this stuff forever as long as air tight.

cas17 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:44pm
post #19 of 49

thank you so much sharon!

sugarshack Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

thank you so much sharon!

Happy to help! Buttercream is a bitc- that must be beat down! She will not defeat us! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif You will all succeed; just keep trying! (It took me a while too.) thumbs_up.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:01pm
post #21 of 49

I have the 4 1/2 qt KA and use a half butter, have shortening recipe. I have always had excellent results, until I started using the beater blade. I am going back to using the regular paddle attachment. I use:

2 cups hi-ratio shortening
2 cups butter
4 pounds shortening
3 tsp butter vanilla extract
12 Tbsp milk

I make sure that I cream the butter and shortening well, then add all the liquid, and finally the p.s. Then I crank the mixer up on med-high for 6-7 minutes. NEVER have any airbubbles. It's perrrrrrrfect!

Heatherly30 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:44pm
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Quote:

Buttercream is a bitc- that must be beat down!

RIGHT ON SHARON!! Never expected to hear those words from your sweet mouth...gives me such inspiration! When I'm feeling defeated while icing my cake tomorrow, I'm going to imagine you in boxing gloves...

Tipper12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tipper12 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #23 of 49

Heatherly30,

Thanks so much for your reply. I wonder if it is better to use the original paddle or the new scraper/paddle? Both times I used the new paddle blade and have had an incredible mess even using the shield and a towel draped over the mixer - but I am not giving up and I will master this!!!

Heatherly30 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:12pm
post #24 of 49

Tipper12,

I had never heard of the scraper/paddle...(googled it) interesting looking. I use the plain, standard paddle, like Sugarshack uses in her video. Use that one and see if you get better results.

sugarshack Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:22pm
post #25 of 49
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Buttercream is a bitc- that must be beat down!

RIGHT ON SHARON!! Never expected to hear those words from your sweet mouth...gives me such inspiration! When I'm feeling defeated while icing my cake tomorrow, I'm going to imagine you in boxing gloves...

LOL. I may be sweet but I got a mouth on me.... just ask Wendy. icon_surprised.gif

My video guy says he owns me now since he has posession of all the out-takes from the videos! icon_lol.gif

And you are right; when u feel frustrated and defeated just keep fighting back. I have benn there soooo many times. Cake and icing will not defeat us! thumbs_up.gif

Cinderina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderina Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:43pm
post #26 of 49

I have used the Beater Blade with Sugarshack's buttercream. Yes, it can be a mess. I was wondering if Sugarshack ever used the Beater Blade or just sticks with the regular paddle. I really don't like cleaning that KA. My Oster was much easier to clean. Does anyone know exactly how many cups of icing Sugarshack's recipe yields? I haven't measured yet but need to plan for several cakes in the near future and thought someone might know offhand. TIA

luvbakin Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #27 of 49

I have had problems with the beater blade. Stick with the original paddle.

sugarshack Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #28 of 49

i don't have beater blade. no need to change what is working for me, you know??

luvbakin Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:44am
post #29 of 49

I actually like it for royal icing, but that's it.

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 7:54pm
post #30 of 49

I make it with my Side Swipe and I love it! The only negative is trying to scrape the last of the buttercream from around those fins.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%