Crunchy Chocolate Filling

Decorating By abclark Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 2:17am by Michele25

abclark Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 19

I had some one ask for crunch chocolate filling. Not Ganache. I wondered if anyone had heard of this and maybe had a recipe or maybe an idea of what they would try.

The bride had this some where in So Cal. I sent her a message to see if she remembered where she had this so I can check out the web site or give them a call.

The Wedding is in Nor Cal so....I just don't know.

18 replies
Michele25 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 19

This maybe a silly question, but is this the same kind of chocolate crunchies that are inside of an ice cream cake? (Like the ones from Dairy Queen for example?) I'd love to know where to get them too!

cupcakemkr Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 19

^^ Umm hmm, what she said^^ icon_biggrin.gif
edited because I posted the same thing.

My DH's uncle owns an ice cream shop, Ill ask him what they are called and get back to you. I think he got them from Sysco.

sweetpea1972 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 19

I saw a menu for a bakery in Boulder that used a layer of "croquant" chocolate covered rice krispies. Would that work?

baycheeks1 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 19

I'm not sure exactly how to make the filling crunchy, I'm guessing make the filling the way you would and add the crunchies to it. I know at the cake decorating store they sell crunchies to add to stuff so maybe you can use that. And I believe there are different flavors too...someone posted a website that sells them also. Maybe that person will post it again.

MacsMom Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 19

She really does need to clarify her request...

She could mean like a Crunch bar (Rice Krispy's), or mini-chocolate chips, or chocolate cookie crumbs...

My cousin attended a wedding in SoCal and she said the cake had a "thin, crunchy" layer between the cake itself and the filling. She was aking if I knew how to do that.

Not knowing exactly what it was like, I was going to try to just put a coating of sugar in the bottom of my cake pan, pour the batter over that, and hope that the heat melts the sugar to provide the crunch she was talking about.

If that didn't work, I was just going to caramelize sugar with a torch and figure out to get that on the cake without it breaking into a gazillion pieces.

KoryAK Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 19

The sugar in the bottom of the pan won't work, it'll absorb moisture from the cake batter

ziggytarheel Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 19

At least at our DQ, their "crunchies" are oreos covered in hot fudge sauce.

All of my ideas have already been suggested.

MacsMom Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 19
Originally Posted by KoryAK

The sugar in the bottom of the pan won't work, it'll absorb moisture from the cake batter

Oh, yeah... icon_confused.gif

enoid Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:50pm
post #10 of 19

How about broken up malted milk balls?

lillielu Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 19

Sometime ago someone posted on here about putting a cookie in between the layers. Could it have been a chocolate cookie?

chilz822 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 19

In the ice cream section of the grocery stores, they sell jars of the 'Oreo-type' crunchies, minus the cream. These are much crunchier than a standard crumbled Oreo, I guess the filling maybe causes that, so if you could find the equivalent chocolate cookie, very thin, without the cream, you'd be set.

abclark Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:25am
post #13 of 19

So I talked to the Bride to be again and asked her a lot of questions about what she wanted. What I think it was is a chocolate layer(like the chocolate that hardens over an icecream cone) OR maybe it was just a thin layer of good chocolate.

I think I am going to try a couple of things and they don't work out I will talk her out of trying.

I like the cookie in the cake idea. I tried it a couple of weeks ago and it was really yummy. Chocolate cake with a peanut butter cookie.

chilz822 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:41am
post #14 of 19

Was it a ganache?

abclark Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:43am
post #15 of 19

ganache is Chocolate and cream and it forms a sort of fudge. Very yummy.

niccicola Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:51am
post #16 of 19

but if you only warm the cream, the chocolate won't completely melt and it will have chunkiness to it.

not crunchiness...i'd say you need to crush up some chocolate cookies and use that as a layer

i've got complete carte blanc on a cake for this friday and i'm considering doing a layer of oreo cookies...mmm

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:46am
post #17 of 19

Possibly meringue? You can pipe a large circle (or whatever shape your cake is) of meringue onto your cookie sheet to bake and use that in between your cake layers.

There are several recipes in Marcel Desaulnier's Death by Chocolate cookbook that use meringue layers. That reminds me, I always wanted to try the Death by Chocolate recipe, but had forgotten. Maybe now that I am getting braver with baking, I will finally try it. Too bad Marcel isn't on TV anymore. I used to enjoy watching his chocolate shows.

all4cake Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:42am
post #18 of 19

okay...all my links are coming up CC links and they're non-existent.

shopbakersnook dot com

and look in candy making supplies or do a search for crunches. They've got quite a few

Michele25 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #19 of 19

I did an online search and found this information on making chocolate crunchies that taste like the ones in ice cream cakes. The info is from an article describing how to make a home-made ice cream cake, and was written by a girl who spent 6 years working at Carvel.

Carvel crunchies recipe:

1 box chocolate wafer cookies
bottle chocolate Magic Shell coating (found in most grocery stores)

In a food processor, chop up enough cookies into large crumbs to make 2 cups. Add magic shell, a little at a time until crumbs are completely coated, but not swimming in it.

Important: Do not refrigerate crunchies before adding them to the cake. They will chill into a solid lump.

Can't wait to try it!!! party.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%