Shimmery Fondant

Decorating By emi85 Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm by chanielisalevy

emi85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi85 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 16

Hi,
i decided to make a wedding cake for my sister, and she wants her cake all shimmery. I was wondering is there a way to make all the fondant on the cake shimmery without brush marks? I don't own an airbrush, so I was wondering if there was an easy way of doing this without getting the brush strokes or uneven colouring you get when you use a brush and luster dust.

Can I just add the dust directly to the fondant?
Thanks

15 replies
kimbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbers Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 16

I'd also like to know any options about this! Can anyone help?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 16

You can brush the luster dust onto the fondant dry.

emi85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi85 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 16

I've tried that, it still creates weird brush strokes, where some areas have more colour than others. I want a nice uniform coat of luster dust. I guess an airbrush is the only way

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 16

You can try pouncing the brush rather than stroking for a better look, but airbrush is really the best way.

Also, you can mix the dust with vodka really really thin and paint the whole cake with a bigger pastry brush. you get a few "paint brush lines" but once it all dries they are not really noticeable. Dont paint it on too thick either.

HTH

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 16

THERE IS A SPRAY CALLED LUSTER SPRAY CLICK ON THIS LINK....THE PEARL IS BEAUTIFUL.
http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=815

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 16

I use this can of spray often. It is amazing and so easy. It sprays on the entire cake in seconds.

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 16

can this be used on buttercream? I use a non-crusting buttercream and wonder if this spray could be used on that.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 16

I have used it on noncrusting buttercream with no problems.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:52am
post #10 of 16

I posted the same question last week about a technique I've already used, but can't remember how I did it! (duh...)

I want to make colored fondant, say the pink in this baby blanket, shimmer without making it white which is what has been happening when I paint on pearl dust or even when I put it on dry.

Am I using the wrong stuff?

Pearl dust? luster dust?
HELP!!!! AAARRRGGHH! How did I do this?
LL

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:14pm
post #11 of 16

You need to use a light hand, and a little pearl or Super Pearl dust at a time..... I use a makeup brush, dip it into the Pearl Dust, shake it off, and brush lightly onto the fondant or butter cream you want to highlight...... You will get streaks or "brush marks" if you hit moist sections, so make SURE the fondant is dry and the buttercream is crusted.....OR...... just get the Pearl Spray from Global Sugar art...it works GREAT !

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:38pm
post #12 of 16

PME makes a pearl luster spray just dont get to close (4 to 6inches) cover with a couple of applications to get a heavy pearl...letting it dry in between coats. Or airbrush with the pearl sheen....I love that stuff!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:39pm
post #13 of 16

Here is something that I saw. I haven't tried it myself yet.

This cake decorator, rolled the fondant out first, then rubbed some shortening on the fondant. Then brushed it with lustre dust. It was really nice.

If you can try this out if you have time to experiment.

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:39pm
post #14 of 16

Thank goodness they made this, because I don't do this enough to warrant possibly clogging my airbrush.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:53pm
post #15 of 16

Chanielisalevy,

Try some of the colored lustre dusts instead of pearl to maintain the color of your fondant.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #16 of 16

That's the best suggestion ! I'll try that! Thank you so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%