Ok, So I Dont Like Wasc Sue Me! But Now What?

Decorating By SaraClassic Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 12:06am by dettdunn

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 36

I made the WASC cake twice and just dont like it icon_surprised.gif I tested on my cousin ( soon to be bride ) and she wasnt thrilled. I think it was just dense and the fluffier oprios were better. Sooo heres my question, shoudl I advise her ( and brides) to suck it up because the dense cakes hold up better for wedding stacking or did I make a mistake in the recipe and it should be more fab than I thought.
I know this is the #1 cake on this site, dont hurt me, I just didnt like mine. icon_sad.gif

35 replies
SaraClassic Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 36

I guess Im asking for an alternate recipe good for wedding cakes and may be different than the WASC.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 36

I guess I don't really have an answer for you, but you're not alone....I didn't like the WASC recipe either. icon_redface.gif
I'm a scratch baker, but their are some cake extender recipes here that I've tried and are pretty good. I would just keep trying until you find one that you like....HTH

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 36

Try this it holds up well for wedding cakes!

White on White Buttermilk Cake
from The Pastry Queen by Rebecca Rather

Cake:
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temp
2 1/3 cups sugar
3 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Place one baking rack one-third from bottom of oven and second two-thirds from bottom of oven.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 3 9 inch pans with parchment , grease or spray with baking spray.

Using paddle attachment of KA, beat butter and sugar in a large bowl for 2 minutes (light and fluffy). Scrape sides. Add egg whites and vanilla and beat on medium for another minute.

Combined dry ing. In medium bowl. Add 1/3 dry ingredients to butter mixture. Add half of the buttermilk, dry ingredients, more buttermilk and dry ing. Mix to incorporate.

Spoon batter into pans. Stagger layers in oven so that no layer is directly on top of the other. Bake for 25-25 minutes, checking both layers. Make sure that one layer isnt done before the other.

Cool on rack in pans for 10 minutes. Invert.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 36

[quote="revel"]Try this it holds up well for wedding cakes!

White on White Buttermilk Cake
from The Pastry Queen by Rebecca Rather

quote]

Revel - no need to bring EW's to a stiff peak and fold into batter? I like that! I will try this this weekend.

Have you tried using this recipe with different variations, ie. lemon or other flavors?

Thanks for sharing!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 36

No i don't beat the egg whites. I haven't tried different flavors but i'm sure it would work ok

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #7 of 36

WASC is pretty awful.

Rebecca Rather's recipe is a very good one, but double the vanilla or use a vanilla bean for extra flavor. Dorie Greenspan's perfect party cake is a good recipe as well.

Here is a link.

http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/archives/2093

If you are specifically looking for a fluffier cake, try to find one using the reverse creaming method, or look for a high-ratio mixing method cake.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:32am
post #8 of 36

Don't beat yourself up over the WASC cake.
I personally don't like Cake Balls!
I felt the stampeed when I mentioned that last year.

but I do love the WASC cake.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:36am
post #9 of 36

I don't like the WASC either so no worries. Different strokes for different folks is all. icon_wink.gif

Sylivia Weinstock's Classic Yellow cake (which is pretty darn white) is a great cake too and it hold up beautifully to slicing. Just google it and you should find the recipe. icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:37am
post #10 of 36

which WASC did u use? I wasn't thrilled either... then I found out there was an "original" and an altered.

I am going to try the original tonight for a wedding on Wed and hope to god its good, because if its not I am going to have to finad another almond cake to go with ! icon_confused.gif

good luck!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:42am
post #11 of 36

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like that WASC cake, I thought I was the only one.
The Sylvia Weinstock cake is excellent but I like her Lady Baltimore cake even better. Do you put the enitre amount of ground ginger in it or only half? I've only put in half recently and thought it tasted even better or is it just me?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #12 of 36

Try it again using cake flour and sifting all the dry ingredients together... and using 1/2 c oil instead of 1/4 cup icon_wink.gificon_smile.gificon_razz.gif

I just LOVE that cake!

SaraClassic Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:12am
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Don't beat yourself up over the WASC cake.
I personally don't like Cake Balls!
I felt the stampeed when I mentioned that last year.

but I do love the WASC cake.

sshhhh I dont like those eiher , lol !!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #14 of 36

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh try the Original it is SO good. everyone loved it icon_biggrin.gif try it try it try!

I won't comment on the cake balls. Okay, well except for that! lol.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:41am
post #15 of 36

Which WASC is the original?

kissylips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:12am
post #17 of 36

I liked the WASC, but I wasn't WOWed by it at first...I thought it tasted pretty close to regular white cake mix (which is fine) with almond extract added in. I really started diggin' it when I started pairing it with the chocolate WASC, in the same cake...I alternate layers. It looks pretty when cut and tastes much better than either of them alone, in my opinion.

There are also MANY variations by MacsMom that seem amazing and get me relly excited about trying them. You can find her posts, along with links from JanH to even more doctored recipes, here: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=614378&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Rocketgirl899 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:22am
post #18 of 36

uhhhhhhh... if i remember right...

1 cake mix
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
dash of salt

1 cup sour cream
3 eggs
1 cup water
2 teaspoons almond extract

The non original calls for vanilla AND almond... i think .

Rocketgirl899 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:23am
post #19 of 36

kissylips that IS NOT the original.. sorry I didn't see the second page of the post icon_smile.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:51am
post #20 of 36

This is the original WASC, I hope this can help you guys

white Almond sour cream Here is the ORIGINAL WASC recipe:

Kakeladi's ORIGINAL WASC
1 pkg Betty Crocker white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3 whole eggs (even for white cakes)
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond emulsion (stronger than flavoring)

In a bowl, mix 1st 3 ingredients. (see notes below) Set aside.
Place remaining ingredients in mixer bowl then add the dry.
Mix on low (I use a KA mixer) speed for 30 seconds, until dry ingredients are incorporated; mix at medium 2 minutes.
This makes 1 & 1/2 times the usual batter than a 'straight' cake mix. It will fill one of the following pans: 8" sq; 12" round; 9x13x2; OR one 10" and 6" round.
Pour into pan(s) and bake as you usually do. I prefere to bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then turn oven up to 325 degrees F. for an equal time OR until you can smell cake If it has pulled away from the edges of the pan it is *over done*. You should have a flat cake that won't (usually) need leveling & is not sticky on the top when it cools.

Special NOTES:
That's right.......there is NO oil, butter or margarine in this recipe.
Use large eggs.
If almond extract (not emulsion) is used, add 2 teaspoons or to taste.
Can use ANY cake flavor
Flavorings can change depending on cake flavor you use. Try a combination of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavoring and 1/4 part almond.
It is important to mix the dry ingredients well especially if using a chocolate mix or you will have white spots in the finished cake. I use a wire wisk.

Right now I do not have a scratch recipe.
Over the next 4-5 months I can work on coming up with one but I will be baking at a *very* high elevation (8,500 ft) so that will effect the overall out come of the recipe.

The difference between only egg whites & whole eggs: Overall you will have a stronger cake using whole eggs. If you need/want a truer white color only white can be use but to me the differece is so slight it's not worth the loss of strength.
Ooooopps I forgot the salt - as usual! I seldom remember to add a generous dash of salt.
Some people say adding oil to a mix makes a better 'crumb'. I have stopped adding it once I found out you can make it w/o and still have a very tasty, moist cake. I discovered that when reading about sub'ing applesauce (or any fruit puree) for oil in recipes.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:04am
post #21 of 36

Here you have more information, there is Kakeladi's orginal WASC, I hope this can help you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

SaraClassic Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:03am
post #22 of 36

Thanks for the recipes and back up, lol. I'll try a new one and goes! Thank you so much!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:18am
post #23 of 36

I use self rising flour in mine.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:25am
post #24 of 36

I don't make wedding cakes but thought you might like to know that over here in Australia, most people have mud cakes for their wedding cakes which are very dense (and delicious cakes)! For my own wedding cake, I had 3 layers - chocolate mud cake, white chocolate mud cake and caramel mud cake! Here's a link to Nati's recipe http://www.how2cakes.com/darkmud.html

kissylips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissylips Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:31pm
post #25 of 36

icon_eek.gif Oh my gracious! I've been using the wrong one! All this time. I am so grateful for this post. Thanks to all who contributed. icon_biggrin.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:48pm
post #26 of 36

I wasnt a huge a fan of the wasc either. And I like doctored cake mixes too! It was a little do heavy/dense for me. I also don't get the cakeball craze. I just made some and I am not loving them.

vickymacd Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:55pm
post #27 of 36

I've been a fan of Kakeladi's original version ever since she posted it quite awhile ago!
What I like most of all is that it's a smaller batch and she uses ALL the eggs!! Her's is delicious if you haven't tried it, although the WASC cake is a bit more white if that makes a difference as to what you are trying to achieve.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:56pm
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraClassic

I made the WASC cake twice and just dont like it icon_surprised.gif

Sooo heres my question, shoudl I advise her ( and brides) to suck it up because the dense cakes hold up better for wedding stacking

I know this is the #1 cake on this site, dont hurt me, I just didnt like mine. icon_sad.gif

saraclassic..........please remember that it's not the denseness of your cake that gives the support in stacked tiers, it's the support system you use. You can use and many of us do a light sponge cake, stack them 6 high and not have any worries as long as you have used the correct method of stacking and support.

I beg to differ on the "#1 cake on this site"...........I wholeheartedly disagree, and one of my reasons for not liking it is that as the days go by it gets soggier and soggier. (made 1 to try for home first and after the second day it was so "wet", and gooey especially near the fillings.) I love moist, I hate wet and gooey. The first day it was good, so I know it was cooked enough. I guess I'm just used to my own recipes.

vickymacd Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 1:20pm
post #29 of 36

dkelly~any tried and true recipes you're willing to share? I'm not a professional baker, I just love to bake for my family and love trying new recipes. Thank you!

SaraClassic Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #30 of 36

I found that I like WASC cake for my cupcakes and that buttermilk cake I made today.... very yummy. I have had mud cake too, I need to check out Nati's recipe. Thanks !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%