Cake Box Storage

Decorating By mellormom Updated 20 May 2014 , 4:16pm by SweetyfromNYC

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 14

How does everyone store there boxes?
I need something that is enclosed and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. My boxes have to be in the dusty basement so the wire racks won't work.
I've been looking at cabinets but I was wondering what else might work.
Thanks in advance!
Jen...

13 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 14

I buy mine in cases of 50 and they come flat (of course). I put them between my sofa and the wall. I'm sure I'll get flamed for that one. icon_rolleyes.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:06am
post #3 of 14

I have this same issue. I want to build some slots type shelves that are verticle, but no place to do so right now. When my shop get's built finally I will have that built in to the storage area. But right now they are stored on my bakers racks and a PITA to deal with since they don't really fit on them.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:34am
post #4 of 14

If you can buy them in bulk, they come in a large plastic wrapping. Just cut the side or end of the wrapping and leave the boxes in there for dust protection.

If you buy boxes in the onesy-twosy quantities, laying them flat on any shelving is best and just cover them with a piece of plastic or a clean sheet.

cakesdivine Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:12am
post #5 of 14

I buy them in bulk but the plastic wrap makes them very difficult to remove. I tried the cutting one side to slide them out...They kept getting stuck and ripping.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I buy them in bulk but the plastic wrap makes them very difficult to remove. I tried the cutting one side to slide them out...They kept getting stuck and ripping.

Me too...and when I rip a box....well, let's just say it ain't purdy!

indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:25am
post #7 of 14

I cut the plastic on the long side, and make a small slit up the sides just a bit (cut it like a "U"). When I cut the package open on the short end and try to pull the boxes out that way, I end up saying things that embarrass my Marine son!

cakesdivine Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:18am
post #8 of 14

LOL! icon_wink.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:39am
post #9 of 14

I store mine like Debi said, nonetheless it is a drag...especially coz they take up so much room and never lay flat on storage shelfs(too broad) I have had lots of boxes ruined with curled corners and sometimes water seeping in if I left it out accidently...and boy is a pack heavy I can barely lift one of those!

indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:17am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkess

...and boy is a pack heavy I can barely lift one of those!

Amen! My last order, it took 2 UPS guys to carry it in. They laid it on my counter and I picked it up and put it on my shelf (myself).

When you need something done, ask a woman! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mellormom Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:34am
post #11 of 14

Thanks guys. icon_smile.gif I'll keep looking for a shelving unit. I haven't gone to Loews or Home Depot yet.
Jen...

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:38am
post #12 of 14

I use one of those Ziploc Big Bags, size XXL. They're 2 ft x 2 3/4 ft, so they hold a lot. Plus, they seal shut to keep the dust out. Then, I just slide it under the bed.

I store all of my cake-making stuff this way -- 14" pans that I don't use very often, etc.

mellormom Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 14

JGMB
I never thought of that! That will be a good solution until I get a cabinet of some kind. Thanks everyone for all your ideas. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

SweetyfromNYC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetyfromNYC Posted 20 May 2014 , 4:16pm
post #14 of 14

AI currently have them in a closet in two of these http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CMju-IPzur4CFQKhOgodiUAAJg&Item=9B-12C-0063-00024&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-_-pla-_-Office+Furniture-_-9B-12C-0063-00024&ef_id=UTES8gAABLE2iwxo:20140520161534:s

Works well to keep them clean but I haven't found a way to differentiate the siaze without taking them all out... anysuggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%