Fruit Preserve Into Cake Batter?

Baking By ShopGrl1128 Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 3:39pm by indydebi

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 8

A friend of mine was telling of a great cake she tried from a baker in Florida.
It was a chocolate-raspberry cake; apparently the baker told her she poured the raspberry preserve into the mix.

Have any of you done this?
Do you substitute some of the liquid for the preserve? Do you cut down the amount of sugar too?
This sounds quite interesting.

FYI.: I use the WASC recipe for all of my cake flavors.

TIA

7 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 8

I've never heard of this being done. I would be interested in the answer too.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 8

I have no doubt that it can be done, tho' I haven't tried it myself.

I use the WASC recipe all the time, too, and modify it by using various flavored yogurts in place of sour cream, using melted ice-cream, Kern's nectar (juice), coffee.

Most recently I added 3 mashed bananas without substituting out anything and it came outr wonderful!

That is truly a no-fail recipe, and I'm sure that you can use preserves by using them in place of water. You'll know if the batter needs more liquid as it's mixing.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 8

It might work, but you are going to change the texture as you add enough to make a flavor difference. I like to use Hero Compounds (made from real fruit, a thick and syrupy flavoring) in that same way and it works out great. I do not remove any sugar from the recipe.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 8

I've done it and usually cut down a little on the oil. Kinda like substituting applesauce for the oil. You won't know until you try....and then TELL US! LOL

Beth in KY

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:16am
post #6 of 8

i've done it, turned out horrible. *but* thats just me. it usually takes me a few tries working on a recipe before i can get it right, lol! let us know how it works for you. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 8

I've been wondering why add it... So that it tastes more natural than an extract? Because you don't like the taste of the boxed mix?

It might be better to use a white cake mix and substitute Kern's strawberry nectar for the water. Or add real fruit, pureed.

I just have this horrible memory of the time I tried strawberry JellO in a cake icon_razz.gif - it was awful! Rubbery texture. I thought maybe he pectin would act a bit like the JellO.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 8

Many people replace the oil with applesauce (calorie reduction). My daughter makes a cake like this and you can't taste the difference .... it doesn't taste like apples, either.

I saw a show on Food Network where a cupcake bakery put pureed fruit in their batter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%