Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By ruthi Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 7:42pm by Frankyola

ruthi Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 7

What are the best sources for learning to make a wide variety of gumpaste flowers? Best websites, or books, or classes? Other than taking a professional long-term course, which I cannot do, there must be resources out there to learn more than just a basic rose??? I look in books by artists such as Sylvia Weinstock and dream of knowing how to make those kinds of floral arrays - where do they learn and is it a lost art unless you have the time or ability to take a professional culinary arts degree?

6 replies
butterfly831915 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 7

I wish I could help you on this but I have longed to know the same thing...

debster Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 7

Go to www.youtube.com and search for gumpaste flowers and a woman called tonedna has some nice flowers and an easier way to do the cala lilly and the rose. There are all kinds of flowers there . Punch in whatever your looking for from how to frost a cake to how to use fondant.

kentuckyjode Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 7

honey, if you can, take a class from jennifer dontz..she is amazing and is a super great teacher..i just took a class from her and i made amazing flowers!!!look her up on the net...she has alot of classes during 2009..

gerripje Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 7

I have learned just from youtube, tonedna, donnalane626, and aine2 have tutorials on there how to do roses and other flowers. Edna's calla lily tutorial is super easy and they look so nice.

There is also some instructions on Scott Clark Wooley's website cakesbydesign.cc. There is 15 flowers that he doesn't have in his book. I printed them off, but they are kind of advanced for me and I don't have the specific cutters that he is talking about. At least it does have diagrams of some of the techniques.

Ladycakes.com has some on their website too. Look in your local public library. My library doesn't have a whole lot, but yours might!

HTH!

gerripje Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 7

Oh yeah, and I got the Wilton 32 piece kit with the book. The better I get, I find the plastic cutters are harder to use than metal, but I used a coupon at Michael's and got it pretty cheap. The book has some basic flower techniques used, then you can kind of use what you've learned to apply to other flowers. I read somewhere, I don't remember who said it, but if you have some of the real flowers to look at, go from there! Good luck!

Frankyola Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 7

This videos are amazing I love them!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7jczwKVAk&feature=related

I Hope this can help you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%