The Chocolate Wasc Is To Die For!!!

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 19 Mar 2014 , 9:29pm by timeforcake

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 42

I just had the chocolate WASC submitted by cakepro....VERY good...I exchanged all the water for coffee though....YUM! icon_biggrin.gif With a layer of chocolate cheesecake in the center and the cake being cold was very good. Thanks cakepro! Deb thumbs_up.gif

41 replies
dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 42

I want to try this recipe, BUT I don't like coffee. Could I just leave it out.... or what could I replace it with??

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I just had the chocolate WASC submitted by cakepro....VERY good...I exchanged all the water for coffee though....YUM! icon_biggrin.gif With a layer of chocolate cheesecake in the center and the cake being cold was very good. Thanks cakepro! Deb thumbs_up.gif

Yummm! This sounds heavenly...where do I find the recipe? Especially the one with the cheesecake in the center... icon_wink.gif

ddaigle Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 42

hsterling.....you cannot taste the coffee....not one bit. I promise! I was so freaked out about adding it...it totally enhances the flavor.

Rockysmom....click on recipes...scroll down...it's called AMAZING chocolate WASC cake..the word amazing maybe hindering your search.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 42

ddaigle...ok, THANKS!

Daisy135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy135 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 42

Yummy...can't wait to try the recipe!!!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 42

ddaigle...did you use instant coffee? Did your cake sink at all? That's happend to me twice using DH mixes.

ddaigle Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 42

Flourpots...I did not use instant coffee. I had some already made in my coffee pot and just exchanged it for the water. I had no sinkage, as I used a flour nail AND baking strips. I don't enjoy baking chocolate cakes at all because I usually always overbake...but this turned out perfect. AND...I can't swear I used DH mix...it was the dark chocolate fudge? Whoever makes that. Deb

dhccster Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 42

Thank you ddaigle. I am going to trust you and try it soon!!!

FlourPots Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 42

Ok...thanks so much icon_smile.gif .

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 42

I tried this a couple weeks ago and YES it was sooo good! I second that.. you can't taste the coffee at all. I did not have a problem with it sinking and used nothing as far as a flower nail or strips. thumbs_up.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 42

ddaigle when you made the cake, did you also add the tablespoon of instant coffee as is in the recipe in addition to the regular coffee? Also, I'm really interested in knowing where you got the chocolate cheesecake recipe for the filling? Thanks so much

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:13pm
post #14 of 42

........I want to try this recipe, BUT I don't like coffee. Could I just leave it out....

I don't think there is anyone on earth who **HATES!!** coffee as much as I do......
BUT.....as has been said, you really! don't taste it! It just intensifies the chocolate flavor.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 42

I've made this before, always using DH Dark Chocolate Fudge mix and it tastes awesome. I made a 2 batches yesterday (4 boxes!) for cakes this week, and every round cake sunk. My 2 squares did not sink. But I didn't use the strips with them because I wanted a hump - they were perfectly flat!

The last 8" round I made I did without strips, and it sunk too...

I think maybe next time I will try the flower nail.

dhccster Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:19pm
post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

........I want to try this recipe, BUT I don't like coffee. Could I just leave it out....

I don't think there is anyone on earth who **HATES!!** coffee as much as I do......
BUT.....as has been said, you really! don't taste it! It just intensifies the chocolate flavor.

kakeladi.....I think you have found someone on this earth who hates coffee as much as you do! I don't even have coffee in my house.... my husband has to drink it at work...I HATE the smell of it! But, I trust you all, and I am going to try it!

ddaigle Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:30pm
post #17 of 42

kakeladi....you can leave the coffee out...I finally nerved up because I heard so many people talking about how great it was..I was scared to make it for the first time for the bosses birthday..but I decided to go for it. There were many people that can't stand coffee and they flipped out because they couldn't taste it.....I was so reluctant myself....I'm not sure if the coffee had anything to do with it.....but this was a very dense, rich cake (the cheesecake center didn't help)....but it was not sweet at all.....just this OMG, rich taste.

Butternut.....I left out the 2T. of instant coffee becuase I used 1 1/3 cups of coffee instead of water...and as far as my chocolate cheesecake....I used the New York recipe from "allrecipes.com".just to find out it is the same recipe on the box of cream cheese. I justed added a bag of melted semi-sweet chocolate chips.

P.S.....the cake is my "basket of strawberries" in my gallery....TONS of chocolate.

FlourPots Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #18 of 42

I read here on CC that if you add a teaspoon of baking powder to your batter your cake won't sink...I'm going to do that the next time I use a DH mix.

ddaigle Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:11pm
post #19 of 42

I would think there was baking powerder in the cake mix??? I dunno....I heard when you bake your cake on too low of a temp it sinks.....so many opinions! LOL...I still like to listen to them all.

FlourPots Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:16pm
post #20 of 42

Me too, LOL...I like to know all the options...I can't recall who posted it, but I think it was specifically about DH mixes...of course I read it after having 2 sink.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:26pm
post #21 of 42

Flourpots~ when you say 'sink', do you mean comes out flat on top, or sunken in the center?

If just flat, my understanding is that's the way the WASC or choc. one turns out. If sunken, then it's not quite cooked yet.

butternut Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:30pm
post #22 of 42

Thanks so much. I've only had one cake "sink" in the middle. My mystery was soon solved when I discovered it wasn't quite done in the middle icon_redface.gif It was so weird because I had checked it like I always do right in the middle and the tester came out clean. But after I took it out and it sunk, I checked it again and there was batter on it. Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmmmm.

butternut Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #23 of 42

Sorry, double post.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #24 of 42

I have this recipe in my favs, but I hadn't tried it yet. I will now! I'm going to try the cheesecake middle, also. (Thanks!) Since some of you are talking about sinking cake, let me add my experience. I made a poundcake (sheetcake) for a birthday party recently and it was sunken in the middle. It was completely done. I have no idea what happened. I didn't have time to do another one. I just decorated it and tried to hide that as much as I could. I used the baking strips on it and a flower nail in the middle. Go figure! icon_surprised.gif

Lisa

PS your chocolate with chocolate-dipped-strawberries-on-top cake is to die for. thumbs_up.gif

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm
post #25 of 42

Dumb question here, but is the coffee hot when you add it, or room temp?

Hazel

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:54pm
post #26 of 42

I make the choc WASC too, but I make it a bit differently:

I use cake flour because chocolate cakes are so heavy and it keep sit lighter.
- Replace 1/3 cup of the cake flour with 1/3 cup cocoa powder.
- Use 1 cup chocolate milk and 2 cups brewed coffee.
- Add a pkg of chocolate fyudge pudding mix.
- And finally, I use Nielsen Massey's chocolate extract instead of vanilla!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:56pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHazel

Dumb question here, but is the coffee hot when you add it, or room temp?

Hazel

I hear that hot coffee brings out the chocolate flavor better.

crazygravy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygravy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:02pm
post #28 of 42

MacsMom,
I've never made a Chocolate WASC cake before. Can you tell me the difference in your recipe and the other Amazing recipe?

FlourPots Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:04pm
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Flourpots~ when you say 'sink', do you mean comes out flat on top, or sunken in the center?

If just flat, my understanding is that's the way the WASC or choc. one turns out. If sunken, then it's not quite cooked yet.

I don't mean flat on top...I get a nice (mostly) flat top using Pillsbury's brand. With DHines, it was a sinking in...once in the center, and once kind of off center.

ddaigle Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:09pm
post #30 of 42

Hazel...my coffee was cold (as in room temp).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%