I'm newish to the crocheting world. I've seen some cute cat/dog toys that were crocheted, but haven't made them yet for my pets. I'm worried that if I make them something yarn related to play with they will think they need to play with my yarn while I am making something else, the cat does that a little now or that they will get in their head that anything I make is theirs to play with, claw at, or chew on.
So my question... Are there any yarn crafters here that have made toys for their animals with out any problems to other yarn projects? Or is making them toys just inviting more trouble than I want to deal with?
I can't answer your question, but I just had to say that lionbrand has some wonderful free patterns right now for little animals. They have crochet and knit versions. Most I saw were ranked as easy. They have some odd Asian sounding name for the style of animal, I can't exactly remember that.
Good luck with your question!
ETA: Some of the little crocheted animals say they're specifically for pets. Others I think are just toys.
Thank you for your reply. The patters I saw were online and did say cat or dog toy. I'm just not sure how my animals would treat my afghans and other crocheted items after playing with a 'toy'.
My dog thinks all small stuffed animals are his. This included the cats stuffed mice as well as my friend's daughter's care bears that she brings over. I always wrestle the care bears away, but the stuffed mice are too big for me to get away from him with out growls and possible bites. So I'm not sure if a stuffed crocheted toy would tell or teach him it is okay to play with anything that is similar.
I got my first cat about 8 months ago. I don't have any previous cat experience, so I have no idea what they typically do or don't do.
I saw this really cute gold fish pattern last night. I guess I just might have to try it and see what they do. If all else fails I'll have a cute collection of stuffed crocheted animals.
This is a link to an article on yarn safety that I got in an email today.
It isn't really an answer to your question, but it is good information and may help you with taking care of your pets while you do your yarn craft.
I can't get the link to work for me.
Sorry, I did that wrong. Here's the article:
Yarn Safety for Pets and Children
Recently, my colleague, Barb Bettegnies, editor of Creative Knitting magazine, shared the following excellent advice on yarn safety for pets and kids in her Creative Knitting e-newsletter. This information is just as relevant for crocheters or any crafters who work with yarn.
"It's easy to forget that children and pets don't see things from our adult perspectives. An unguarded length of yarn does not have the appeal of a dark chocolate raspberry truffle (now you know my secret indulgence) to anyone I know, but to a puppy [or very young child, it can look delicious!]
"Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I visited my brother and his wife near Atlanta, Ga. They are both veterinarians who practice small-animal care in their clinic. Friday morning brought a case which required emergency treatment to save the life of the cherished pet of a client. The pug and its owner had visited a yarn shop, where the curious pet had ingested a quantity of yarn.
"This was a serious situation, and the pet's owner realized it. A linear object can become lodged in an intestine, creating a sawing motion which can result in peritonitis. After an expensive surgery and some intensive post-surgery procedures, the pug might avoid eating more yarn, and the owner will no doubt be more vigilant in the future.
"In order to prevent this from happening, please make sure that your pets do not have access to your stash. You'd hate to have this happen to your darling Fifi or Fido or Cutie Kitty. Not only are the pets' lives endangered, but the practice could seriously endanger your project in progress or your precious stash! A bit of precaution can prevent a disaster, so take care."
Thanks to Barb for sharing this excellent cautionary advice. I'd like to add that not only can ingested yarn create a sawing motion inside the intestines, it can also create a massive blockage (depending on how much yarn was ingested), which could quickly create a very serious situation.
Also, remember to put away or discard those plastic store bags that you bring your yarn home in! Small, curious pets can get their heads caught in the handles and then panic when trying to get free, possibly causing a dangerous choking situation as they struggle to dislodge the bag.
Enjoy your yarn, but remember to use it safely if you have curious little critters around!
This is a link to sign up for various craft newsletters, this article came from Talking Crochet.
Thank you for sharing this. I hadn't thought about them eating it really. The cat recently was trying to help me crochet, but I don't encourage him to. All my yarn is in drawers or pastic containers. My current project I work on stayed in a bag, which I can close up. Didn't think about the eating, but I have protected it for the claws!
I babysit my friends daugher and will crochet around her. She thinks it is the funniest thing to grab my yarn and pull. She has found that if she pulls more yarn comes out. I don't allow her to play with it, just like I wouldn't let her play with anything other string object.
We all need reminders to watch out for our critters and little one and how our hobbies can affect them.