Need Some Critique On My Cake

Decorating By DawnM Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 6:14am by mixinvixen

DawnM Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 11

Good Morning everyone,
This is my 3rd Fondant cake and I have had no classes or prior help with fondant cake. I was hoping wonder experienced ladies like yourselve could critique my cake and show me some pointers on how to improve my next cake.

Thanks in advance everyone icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
cor39 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 11

I think it looks great. As for tips - the only thing I can say is that with experience everything will get easier. I think the sides could be a little smoother, but again with practice everything will get better. Great job.

DawnM Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 11

You know what thats exactly what I dont like either. The sides started getting bumpy and I want that smooth look. I also didnt like the edges around the top. I LOVE when a cake in fondant has the smooth sides and the squared off tops.. But that you so much for the compliment =)

kakeladi Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 11

Your sides do look just a bit 'bumpy'. Did you use fondant smoothers?
I'm a very cheap personicon_smile.gif If I can use something else I won't buy some tool etc. I had read for yrs about using your hands to smooth fondant on a cake so that's what I did.
Well........when Wilton got into fondant (and I was an instructor) I was required to attend a training session where we were given a fondant smoother (just one) but it made all the difference in the world in getting cakes much smoother looking. That may be just what you need.
Also......make sure your cake itself is smooth to begin with....use a smooth buttercream, piping gel, or melted jelly under your fondant, making sure to fill in any small holes or other imperfections before adding the fondant.

KoryAK Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 11

Next time try chilling the cake before applying the fondant so you have a firm surface to work with.

jammjenks Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 11

I'm not too crazy about the bottom borders, but that's strictly my opinion. icon_smile.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:17am
post #7 of 11

My cakes never look as good as yours so plz take my critique with a grain of salt.

Your bottom borders definitely look like mine. I'm exhausted and just want to get it done. Take a break if you can. My cakes will be gorgeous and then I do the borders, because I want it done. My stuff goes down hill from there.

The fondant; truly is not bad. I wouldn't call it lumpy, more like big dimples.

I know you're just supposed to crumb coat before the fondant. I put the cake in the freezer and then put another coat of icing. I smooth using a spackle knife or Viva.

The spackle knife can be found in any home improvement store. I also buy cheapest and thinnest, more flexibility. Paint supply section

Last resort, I use my hands for smoothing. I have hot hands, so I literally have ice water for dipping, when I need cold.

adven68 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:29am
post #8 of 11

Love the color combo, and as everyone else said, with time, you will get so much better with the fondant.

I think a stacked cake looks best when there is at least a 3-4" difference in their sizes.

I use a pizza wheel to slowly trim the fondant at the bottom of the cake, so it's always a perfectly straight line. Then I don't even need the borders. So, if you do something like that, you can move the pretty spray of flowers towards the bottom layer and you'll have a beautifully balanced cake.

Good luck!

KimberlinaCupcake Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 11

I think this looks great! Well done with it! My sides always come out a bit bumpy even when I use a fondant smoother. I found quite a cool site the other day where I've recently posted a few cakes for critique myself. I thought it was quite fun! Check out

tjrobin31 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:01am
post #10 of 11

i think you're cake looks great, i can't really offer any advice since i'm very new to fondant myself.
practice practice practice,
it looks better than anything i could do i know that

mixinvixen Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:14am
post #11 of 11

a bit of cake cellulite on the sides...but i can totally relate...i'm still lovable and i've got quite a few myself! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_biggrin.gif

i think you're doing a great first fondant looked about 1% as good as that, and i'm a little envious of you!!!! i'm not sure if you wanted constructive crit. on everything or just the fondant, but i would agree with the posts that suggested the tiers being a bit taller and a different border. i don't do alot of borders, because i do the same as cutter, slow going, nice straight line that doesnt' need to be disguised. i also would suggest practicing on your handwriting, but that is definitely a life long pursuit!!!!!!!!! i really stink at freehanding, so i have a lot of letterpresses.

overall, i think it's a marvelous cake and you should pat yourself on the back!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%