Fondant Longevity

Decorating By pattigunter Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 3:55pm by Linliv46

pattigunter Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 9

I have an order for a very large birthday cake for a party at 2pm on saturday. The only time I have to do this cake is on thursday. My question is about the fondant. Will this be way to early to apply fondant to a cake? I'm worried about it getting too hard. How do I prevent this?

8 replies
pattigunter Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 9

I forgot to add that i dont do a whole lot of fondant work, hence the uncertainty with this cake.

pattigunter Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 9

Anyone???? I'm really worried about this. I dont want a hard cake on saturday!

leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 9

It will be pretty "firm". That's why a lot of us work very late on Friday night. How big is the cake? Are you using a purchased fondant?

gr8yf Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 9

It depends on the kind of fondant you are useing. MMF would get hard, Satin Ice no.

Linliv46 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 9

I am not an expert on fondant but I think you would be fine covering the cake on Thurs. I would wrap it well with plastic wrap and leave it set out unless you have a perishable filling!

pattigunter Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 9

I have a 2 layer 14" and a 2 layer 12" to be stacked. I'm putting a large Elmo made from candy melts on top.

I think what I'll do is just go ahead and bake and crumb coat and then wrap them well and get up very early saturday and finish the fondant covering and trimming. The candy melt is already made. I'm worried about how heavy it is. I'll be doing lots of dowling!

Thank you so much ladies for helping me work thru this one. I've been caking for 3 years now but this is by far the largest cake I've done.

pattigunter Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 9

Forgot to add that I'll be using FondX fondant. I took a class with Bronwyn Weber in November and she told us that its the only kind she'll use so I switched from Satin Ice.

Linliv46 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 9

Patti that sounds really cute! Will be watching for a pic! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%