Have You Used This Cc Bc Recipe Under Fondant??

Decorating By ceshell Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 9:05pm by ceshell

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:22am
post #1 of 4

This is the "Whipped Cream Buttercream" recipe found here on CC. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2019-Whipped-Cream-Buttercream-Frosting.html . Note that although the icing is titled "Whipped Cream Buttercream" it is definitely a BC recipe, not a whipped cream recipe. It does not crust (though the recipe states that if you add a bit more meringue powder it will crust a LITTLE).

I made this icing a few weeks ago and thought it tasted great for a PS buttercream. However it smooths HORRIBLY (see my cake here http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1303843 ) so I want to fondant over the next cake. It seemed a little soft, I am trying to determine if it will hold up under fondant. I'm not concerned about it melting the fondant, just about whether or not it will get squished out of the way, or whether or not it will even hold up as dams since I plan to use pudding filling inside the cake.

Anyone ever used it? At least 81 people on CC have anyway, that's how many rated it!

3 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:39am
post #2 of 4

Actually, I have used this recipe (well, not exactly this one.... I used 80% butter and 10% shortening) for someone who didn't like SMBC. It worked fine under fondant. I made the meringue first and then beat the butter and PS.... didn't have to wash the beaters!

I can't possibly imagine why this is called whipped cream frosting, since no cream, whipped or otherwise, has obviously come anywhere near this recipe!

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:40am
post #3 of 4

I like to use a crusting buttercream under fondant because if you need to lift and smooth it you can with the crusting. If it isn't crusted it will stick to the fondant and you may have a terrible mess! I tried a recipe on here for buttercream from sugarshack. It is amazing.....it smooths beautifully and your cake looks so smooth that it could be covered in fondant! Here is that recipe if you would like, you can use it under fondant too!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for both of your answers. It's funny Chutzpah, I made it similar to yours, I think I used 1 third butter rather than 90%. For the same reasons too - in this case it's for a 9 yo's bd party:IMBC is not going to go over well with kids that young. (I tried that once, and the kids said "This frosting has BUTTER in it, doesn't it?" I was like...uh, yeah, you say that like it's a bad thing?! icon_redface.gif). I appreciate you letting me know how much butter you used too, as I would like to use less shortening but was worried that more butter would really make it too soft. Oooh, now I am excited to try it with even more butter.

Cakebaker, I don't mind that it doesn't crust as I'm accustomed to putting fondant over IMBC (although you make a good point about working w/a crusting bc...oh that would be nice!), but I do plan on trying Sharon's icing sometime. I just liked that this recipe seemed like a compromise - personally I don't like straight shortening+ps (or butter+ps for that matter) icing so it is hard for me to let something out of my kitchen if I can't personally endorse it icon_rolleyes.gif. I also tried Indydebi's famed recipe, I was so excited to finally use it but the taste just wasn't there for me. I'll save hers or Sugarshack's for when I am not using fondant and need an PS icing that smooths well.thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%