Just The Groom's Cake

Business By Kitagrl Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:25am
post #1 of 11

I think I've whined about this on here before LOL but got another email today that I wasn't sure whether to be happy for the order, or to be frustrated. haha.

Lady wrote me saying that she wanted to know if she could afford a groom's cake in her budget. Described a lifelike sounding groom's cake and then informed me she didn't need it to big, as she had a HUGE wedding cake already, but wanted to know if she could fit it in her budget.

I quoted her a carelessly high price (after all, for what she wanted, it would have to be fairly lifelike anyway and I'm tired of doing detailed 3D work for lower prices...which aren't really low...but recently I heard what the bigger bakeries were charging for cakes like this and I decided to start bumping mine up.) Haven't heard back from her, but of course it is the weekend so one never knows.

Anyway I guess its just SO frustrating. I have really tried to contact planners and caterers and venues and I have a few ads online plus my website, plus word of mouth. Word of mouth is getting me quite alot of business with 3D cakes...its pretty much what everybody wants anymore. I guess its good, I have gotten the local reputation for sculpted cakes in general... but I could do ONE wedding cake for 200 people with buttercream and scrolls and get more money than doing 2-3 3D cakes for only 25 people, with just as much if not more work.

But around here, MOST caterers include a cake with their package...which is why I keep attracting groom's cake orders but rarely a real wedding cake. If I do get a wedding order, its often for 100 ppl or less.

I guess I'm not looking for advice...I know I need to somehow start going to networking meetings but I don't have alot of money, and I have to wait for my The Knot subscription to end so I can stop paying all that money (and darn, the lady never replied to my email that I want to cancel, which means she is going to wait for me to call and force her to do so) and use it for something else.

I'm just venting. icon_smile.gif I would be SO excited if I can ever be more than "just the groom's cake tacked on at the end, if we have the money left.". Ya know?

10 replies
drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 11

When in Rome...

If it is working for them, why don't you do the same? Include the groom's cake in your wedding cake prices. Or, have it available in a package price if they want that option. Of course, consider this when you decide the cost of your bridal cakes.

It seems my wedding cake prices are constantly changing. That is why they are not a cut and dry price. See what works for others and try it out. Good Luck.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowsyrn

When in Rome...

If it is working for them, why don't you do the same? Include the groom's cake in your wedding cake prices. Or, have it available in a package price if they want that option. Of course, consider this when you decide the cost of your bridal cakes.

It seems my wedding cake prices are constantly changing. That is why they are not a cut and dry price. See what works for others and try it out. Good Luck.

Yeah but I don't cater....what they are doing is including the wedding cake in with the catering package.

I could refuse groom's cakes without wedding orders but then that would be refusing business and I can't afford to do that either.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:21am
post #4 of 11

Apologies if I've asked this before, but do the caterers make the wedding cakes themselves or do they have a "preferred" baker they work with pretty exclusively? If they are not making the cakes themselves, is there any way you can get in to talk to them about working with them, about being a part of their package?

Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Apologies if I've asked this before, but do the caterers make the wedding cakes themselves or do they have a "preferred" baker they work with pretty exclusively? If they are not making the cakes themselves, is there any way you can get in to talk to them about working with them, about being a part of their package?

I believe a good number of them do make their own cakes...I know I worked for an upscale caterer in Philly a year ago that did make their own, and many others do too.

Others seem to possibly have outside bakers..? It is hard to tell by their websites. I have emailed many local caterers and planners offering to bring by samples, etc but have not received much response as of yet. Its just amazed me how many brides already have their cake by the time they contact me for either a grooms cake or a bridal shower cake.

Just checked the blog of a wedding planner I've worked with a few times and noticed the last cake posted must have been a catering cake because it was your average buttercream cake, not perfect, but looked fine.

Seems to me like most wedding cakes are either made by the caterer, or arranged by the planner...which means I'm going to have to take the money that is going to my Knot account when it ends, and put it towards some big time networking. So far that's the biggest step that I have not yet taken, and it seems it needs to be taken. I've networked on a small scale already some and so far....getting quite a few party cakes and etc, the orders are really starting to roll in...but the weddings are still extremely sparse.

Philly is messed up. haha.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 11

I agree, see if the caterers might take you on as part of their service! you would be surprised how many are using an outside service and want a backup or maybe even want to stop making cakes themselves because its too much work. Dont email them. Call them. Ask to speak to whoever is the manager and make an appointment. Emails just dont work in this case.

With wedding planners, have an open house and send out through the US mail invites. Either order them or make them, but have them be pretty and elegant and invite them all for an open house. If you dont have room in your house, see if you can use your DH's conference room or even rent a hotel room! Have a few dummies out and serve them pretty tea cakes and slices of really elegant what I call Martha Stewart slices, with tea and coffee and water. Have brochures and business cards and talk talk talk to them. I would even invite local photographers if you can, as they often refer brides over and many of them will offer to take photos of your dummies for you if you give them credit.

The wedding business is completely different world from the celebration cake business. You need to build a network with the other venders...see if there is a Professional bridal association you can attend or even a catering assocation. Word of mouth (and taste!) is what drives this buisiness...

Good luck!

Kitagrl Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 11

Wow thanks for the tips! The open house is a great idea....maybe I could even include some catering managers into the open house...hmmm.

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 11

Kitagrl, the City of Hope, Let them Eat Cake wedding show/competition is coming up. I believe it's at the Loew's Hotel this year. I don't know if that generates serious business or not, but it's another opportunity to network.

Kitagrl Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:47pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamn900

Kitagrl, the City of Hope, Let them Eat Cake wedding show/competition is coming up. I believe it's at the Loew's Hotel this year. I don't know if that generates serious business or not, but it's another opportunity to network.

Thanks, yeah I was there last year and already sent my paperwork in for this year. thumbs_up.gif

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 11

Wow, that open house idea sounds pretty awesome!! That's one to tuck under my hat for future reference for sure!! What a way to make an impression on your potential buyers! Especially if you had some photographers snapping pics - it sounds like a pretty high profile event!! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 11

Yeah...I'm definitely thinking about trying something like that in September. Seems like it would be cheaper but almost as effective..? As a bridal show...

The bridal shows around here cost around $400 per table so if I can rent a place for $200...? for a couple hours and then invite people it would work great...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%