tjrobin31 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 10

okay, i realize you need some sort of system to stack a cake,,
what i'm wondering is what sort of options there are,

I know there are wooden dowels, plastic tubes , straws etc,
which of these works the best, or is it just a matter of personal choice

and as for cake plates can you use cardboard, or is that a no-no,

also is this necessary for a two tiered cake,

i'm asking because i'm doing a stacked cake for a family member, and don't really want to spend alot of money on like a wilton stacking system
becuz i'm pretty sure i will never get this stuff back,and becuz i'm doing this for nothing i don't want to lose more money than i have to
thanx in advance for any advice

9 replies
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:59am
post #2 of 10

I used cardboard cake board and plastic dowels. Never had a problem yet.

indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:03am
post #3 of 10

I use just plain, unwrapped cardboards with wooden dowels.

jammjenks Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:17am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use just plain, unwrapped cardboards with wooden dowels.

Me too.

tjrobin31 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:28am
post #5 of 10

thanx for your help, now i know where to find the wooden dowels, but any hints on where to find the cardboards,
umm the only stores within a fifty mile radius of where i live are a wallmart and a jubilee,
neither of which carry much in the way of cake decorating supplies
is it okay to cut your own
these questions must sound extremely absurd

lchris Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 10

tjrobin31,
There are no stupid questions!

I would think your Walmart carries Wilton supplies. Check in the craft department. HTH

lchris Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 10

tjrobin31,
There are no stupid questions!

I would think your Walmart carries Wilton supplies. Check in the craft department. HTH

kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:03am
post #8 of 10

Wilton cake boards usually are available @ WalMart in the craft section as said. A super Wal Mart is much more likely to have a larger varity but even then it's not much.....probably a pkg of 8"ers, 10"ers; and some sheet cake size boards. OR you can buy a sheet of foam core board (in the framing dept or where ever they have poster board) and cut your own sizes needed. I never had any luck cutting them straight/smooth but maybe you don't care that muchicon_smile.gif
You also can use straws. I much perfere using them over wood.

madzack09 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:12am
post #9 of 10

I am doing a stacked cake this weekend for my neice for her wedding cake and this has been helpful..i have something to add i have to cut my cake boards to size (heartshape) should they be just a hair smaller than the cake? i just dont want to them to show?

CareyI Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #10 of 10

Our local grocery store has a chinese buffet in it. i grab as many chop sticks that I can when I am in there....they are seperated, round and a pretty good size...I cut and use these with just plain cardboard in between my tiers. And yes, you should definitly board and support every 4 inches...I have learned this the hard way icon_cry.gif. The chopsticks are free and I like free. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%