Rich's Bettercream

Decorating By ConnieSue Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 3:59am by ConnieSue

ConnieSue Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:58am
post #1 of 10

For those of you that have bought Rich's Bettercream, how do you smooth it? Can you use the Viva method? I am considering purchasing some for my daughter's wedding cake. She has always loved whipped icing. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

9 replies
mixinvixen Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:06am
post #2 of 10

love love love this...if i could, this would be the only thing i would use!! it's way too easy, with no confectionary sugar flying around or graininess!! it rocks! it tastes incredible, no matter what flavor you put in....it's so versatile and easy to use. from freezer to cake, i've spent a total of probably 20 seconds worth of energy.

take it out of the freezer and shake it (5 seconds).

after letting it sit on counter for 10 minutes. open it up (1 second), and pour into mixer bowl.

i brace it against my whip to let it drip all out while i'm opening a box of appropriately flavored pudding (5 seconds), pour that in

then add a 1/2 cup of milk (2 seconds).

put mixer on med speed then on up to high (5 seconds) and wait for a minute or so until the peaks are forming...

AND ITS DONE!!!!!!!!!

it spreads like silk, and if you put the cake into the fridge for a bit, you'll be able to use a viva on it to smooth it out. too cool for words!(although i managed quite a few, apparently!) icon_redface.gif

grams Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:09am
post #3 of 10

It doesn't crust so the Viva method doesn't work.
I'd like to know how to get it really smooth too. That's the down side of it for me.

ConnieSue Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:10am
post #4 of 10

so, you put pudding mix in with the Rich's? I assume it is instant. What flavor do you typically use for a wedding cake? If I am doing a double 16, 12, 8 inch square how much would you purchase?

mixinvixen Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:18am
post #5 of 10

check out my treasure chest cake...that entire thing was done with two things of rich's...inside filling layers, and outside icing.

and yes, i did use the viva method on it...and then "knicked it" back up to make it look like wood.

i would say to buy 5 containers, if you're doing fillings also. the most awesome flavor combo i've found so far, in my opinion, is white chocolate instant pudding...it ends up tasting exactly like a rich vanilla ice cream!!!!!! yum!

grams Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:20am
post #6 of 10

Thanks mixinvixen I'll give it a try your way.
With adding the milk and pudding you then have to keep the cake refrigerated don't you?

mixinvixen Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:36am
post #7 of 10

you don't have to be overly paranoid about it, really...i wouldn't leave it out over 12 hours. i believe the sugar content makes it more stable. check with melvira, though, because she's the bettercreme queen!

VickiChicki Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:38am
post #8 of 10

What size box of pudding.... and is it instant? Thanks!

mixinvixen Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:57am
post #9 of 10

small box, instant, any flavor you want.

you can also add in flavored creamers

ConnieSue Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:59am
post #10 of 10

Hey, Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%