Nj Home Bakers?

Business By SueW Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 8:46pm by francescakes

SueW Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:49am
post #1 of 12

Just wondering if anyone out there knows what it takes to bake from home legally in NJ. I am pretty sure the requirements are tough but not sure how to find out exactly. Thanks!

11 replies
frostingfairy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 12

Sorry, it is illegal to bake/sell from home in NJ.

SueW Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 12

Wait, can you have a separate kitchen etc. or you can't do it at all icon_eek.gif UGH!

steffla Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #4 of 12

Sorry, as far as I know, you can not sell out of your home in any case. Bummer I know.

Ruth0209 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 2:20am
post #5 of 12

This thread has a list of all the states' requirements.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586218.html

You should check with your health department. In my state, I cannot license my home kitchen, but I can build a separate commercial kitchen on my property and license it as long as the zoning laws are not violated (or the Homeowner's Assn. rules).

SueW Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 12

That was my next question, if they won't license your home kitchen can you build another one etc. Who do I even call to find out? Dept of agriculture or health dept.? I'm sorry I am so new to this idea I have not clue where to start icon_sad.gif

bellatrixothersis Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 12

Here's another for NJ.. A local county's Chamber of Commerce gave a high school senior an award for Chamber's "Amazing Kids In Business". She bakes from home. A newspaper article advertises her email and phone and offers her menu..Go figure?

SueW Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 12

Funny you mention that bellatrixothersis. My sister live in CT and wanted to inspire me so she showed me and article about a girl in college selling cakes from home. Clear as day in the paper was a pic of her cooking in her home kitchen with her address and phone number below. Clearly she wasn't "official" it was her parent kitchen. I couldn't believe she wasn't afraid to advertise that way. I am a scaredy cat icon_redface.gif

bellatrixothersis Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:31am
post #9 of 12

I think it's just being ignorant of the laws. I don't want to get the girl in trouble, because I really do give her credit. But what amazes me is that the Chamber of Commerce should know better. (In NJ, there's a good chance somebody is related to somebody.) I did email the girl and she send me a copy of her "menu". I decided to take this as a sign of encouragement. Ingnorance is surely bliss...

francescakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:00am
post #10 of 12

Forget NJ-no way no how-there is no way around it- not LEGALLY anyway...

SueW Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by francescakes

Forget NJ-no way no how-there is no way around it- not LEGALLY anyway...

Can you have a separate kitchen from the main one, would they let you use that? I am so confused icon_cry.gif

francescakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 12

NO- you have to be in a commercial zone AND have a completely separate entrance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%