How Do I Make A Fondant Bead Border?

Decorating By dbledet Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 3:29pm by dbledet

dbledet Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:05am
post #1 of 8

I would like to make a fondant bead border around a cake. I'm new to fondant and not sure how to do this. Any suggestions would be really helpful.
I have read that alot of people use 50/50 mix of fondant and gum paste. Should I do this for all fondant accents on a crusted buttercream cake?
How do I attach the beaded balls to the cake?
Can this be done a day in advance or should it be done the same day the cake is needed?

Thanks for all your help!!! icon_eek.gif

7 replies
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:32am
post #2 of 8

Remember playing with Play-doh? icon_razz.gif

Fondant is easy!

You only need to mix with gumpaste if you are wanting it to dry rock-hard (and quickly). I would leave it out for a border and anything that you want to be soft enough to be eaten without the risk of broken teeth. icon_biggrin.gif

For a fondant bead border, all you have to do is roll little balls of the fondant with your hands and place them at the bottom of the cake. If you want, you can pipe a thin line (say with a #4 tip) around the bottom of the cake on the cake board, so that the border is "attached" in 2 places. You can make the beads any size you like.

Have fun playing with the dough! icon_smile.gif

panchanewjersey Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:41am
post #3 of 8

They also sell the bead border makers, they should have them here on Global Sugar Art if your looking for a perfect uniform border. They sell them in different sizes and tonedna shows you how to use it.

korensmommy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:44am
post #4 of 8

I'm no fondant expert, but I make all my fondant pieces in advance.
I have 2 kids and do it at night when I can get some peace and quiet!
You could also make them same day if you wanted.

I use a crusting buttercream and just pop my pieces on after it has crusted. If I'm worried about them sticking, I dampen them just slightly on the back before I attach them to the cake.

Cakenicing4u Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:54am
post #5 of 8

I saw it on a TV challenge... if you want your beads to all be the same size, or close to it, anyway... roll out a piece of fondant, and cut circles out that are all the same size... for smaller circles, you can use the back of a tip, or a #10 tip... get creative! Then when you roll them, they should all be the same size or close since they were all rolled out of the same size piece of fondant.... Hope that helps!

FlourPots Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 8

To get the balls all the same size, I use a measuring spoon (the 1/2 tsp. works well)...I push some fondant in it, smooth it out with my thumb and press around the edge so the spoon itself cuts off the excess, then I remove the fondant and roll in into a ball.

korensmommy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 8

Wow, what a simple yet great idea! Will try it out next weekend on my Mardi Gras cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

To get the balls all the same size, I use a measuring spoon (the 1/2 tsp. works well)...I push some fondant in it, smooth it out with my thumb and press around the edge so the spoon itself cuts off the excess, then I remove the fondant and roll in into a ball.

dbledet Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of your great ideas!!! I now have a good idea on how to do it. It really doesn't sound hard at all. I was thinking about trying to roll it out into rope sections then cut pieces and then form into balls. But I like the idea of rolling it out and cutting small circles then rolling them that way they will all be the same size. I would have never thought of that. Thanks again! I would be lost without this website! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%