Need Help ..re: Cake Servings

Decorating By lahdz86 Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 1:40am by indydebi

lahdz86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lahdz86 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 4

I HAVE A FIVE YEAR OLDS B-DAY CAKE THAT IM MAKING FOR THE 22ND OF FEB. ABOUT 50 GUESTS.

1) IM MAKING A 2 TIER CAKE. THE BOTTOM TIER IS GOING TO BE 3 - 9" x 2" LAYERS STACKED AND THE TOP TIER GOING TO BE 3 - 6" x 2" LAYERS STACKED. I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF ANYBODY KNEW HOW MANY SERVING THIS WOULD BE. OR IF I WOULD NEED TO ADD ANOTHER LAYER.

2 ) I RECENTLY MADE 2 FONDANT CAKES AND FOUND THAT IF WAS A BIT HARD TO CUT THE SLICES EQUALLY., DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I WOULD BE ABLE TO ACHIEVE THIS? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:10am
post #2 of 4

Here's the wilton chart that I use for all cakes ... weddings, birthdays, etc. I cut the cakes at family birthday gatherings, so I KNOW cutting it this size works very well with all the guests. http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm
Per this chart, a 6 and 9" cake will serve 44. A 6 and 10 serves 50.

Here's my "how to cut a cake" page from my website to achieve these servings: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

When you say the fondant cake was hard to cut equally, what exactly do you mean? Was the cake itself hard to cut, or you couldn't cut the pieces the same size? I did my birthday cake in fondant and discovered that a serrated knife is bad ... very bad .... for cutting fondant. When I took the top tier home and cut it with a straight edged knife, it cut BEAUTIFULLY!!

lahdz86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lahdz86 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:42am
post #3 of 4

THE CAKE ITSELF WAS GREAT. IT WAS SO MOIST. THE FONDANT WAS CRUSTED OVER. WHICH USUALLY HAPPENES BUT I FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO CUT THE CAKE SLICES EQUALLY. ALTHOUGH I WILL SAY I WAS USING A SERRATED KNIFE NOT A STRAIGHT EDGE. MAYBE THATS WHERE I WENT WRONG. I ALSO NOTICED THAT THE FONDANT WAS A BIT THICK, MAYBE I NEEDED TO MAKE THE FONDANT THINNER.

I ATTACHED A COUPLE OF PICS FROM THE CAKES I MADE..
LL
LL
LL
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%