Is It Me Or Has Times Changed?

Lounge By krysoco Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 5:58pm by krysoco

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:24pm
post #31 of 50

With this economy, krysoco, you just might get that wish. Things will be rough, people will have to reevaluate and go back to simplicity.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #32 of 50

I completely agree summer........I said this in another thread. I've noticed that our church is just a little bit more full each Sunday.

Wouldn't it be nice if something positive does come out of this recession? People actually appreciating the simple things again. I'm all for it, material things are not all their cracked up to be. When it's all said and done, you don't take any of those things with ya to meet your maker. There's a church nearby that has an interesting saying on their billboard this week, it says........"You'll never see a hearse pulling a UHaul". So true.

I'm not too old to remember stores being closed on Sundays and no ATM machines, it really wasn't THAT long ago, was it? icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe we should go back to closing things on Sundays so families can just spend time together for a change.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:10am
post #33 of 50

Back to the op question. My dd is 4 years old and I write no drop offs on the kids invitations. When I do parties for my kids because they are so young I invite the whole family and any friends. So grandma comes, cousins, aunts, and so on. I do not want someone dropping their kids off because this is a celebration for my whole family. Now when I do I party for my child and she is 7 or 8 and I invite just her friends then its ok for them to drop off but only the kids I invited. I dont mind parents bringing younger siblings as long as the parents stay. When I take my daughter to parties and she hasnt gone to many sometimes I have to take my son who is two years younger. I dont feel like getting a baby sitter for my baby when I'm going to be around kids anyway. I dont allow parent to drop off their babies and just leave. Just write it on the invitation that parents are invited or say no drop off and if they dont come then sorry.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:58am
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I'm not too old to remember stores being closed on Sundays and no ATM machines, it really wasn't THAT long ago, was it? icon_rolleyes.gif Maybe we should go back to closing things on Sundays so families can just spend time together for a change.

While I definitely think that too many people are more concerned with what they possess rather than what good they have done in their lives, I don't think closing stores on Sundays would have a beneficial effect. First of all, many people, especially single mothers and two-income families need to use what time they have to do things that are needed. My dh and I both work, and I know that many things have to be shifted to the weekend.

In addition, what are those who have a different Sabbath, or those who work other days supposed to do? I know that my Jewish and Seventh Day Adventist friends would prefer that the stores, etc. be closed on Saturday, since they consider that to be the correct day for Sabbath observance.

Maybe, just maybe, we can make the decision for ourselves, whether we want and can make it work to take a full day off from everything else to spend a family day at home every week. And, maybe the specific day doesn't matter nearly so much as the fact that you are taking time to be together.

Just my 2 cents. (adjust for inflation, as you wish)

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:44pm
post #35 of 50

I cant post the pictures that I wanted to share w/yall. I click on the "add attachement", select my picts., then the status bas shows it loading and that's all it does. Nothing more. IDK.

Deb_ Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:57pm
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

Quote:

While I definitely think that too many people are more concerned with what they possess rather than what good they have done in their lives, I don't think closing stores on Sundays would have a beneficial effect. First of all, many people, especially single mothers and two-income families need to use what time they have to do things that are needed. My dh and I both work, and I know that many things have to be shifted to the weekend.

In addition, what are those who have a different Sabbath, or those who work other days supposed to do? I know that my Jewish and Seventh Day Adventist friends would prefer that the stores, etc. be closed on Saturday, since they consider that to be the correct day for Sabbath observance.

Maybe, just maybe, we can make the decision for ourselves, whether we want and can make it work to take a full day off from everything else to spend a family day at home every week. And, maybe the specific day doesn't matter nearly so much as the fact that you are taking time to be together.

Just my 2 cents. (adjust for inflation, as you wish)

You're missing my point...........Everyone survived years ago when the stores were closed on Sundays. We shopped on Saturday or Friday evenings was the big one.....family grocery shopping night! Man that was a blast icon_lol.gif
Point being, back then we were used to Sundays being the laid back, go to church come home to a big family dinner day. When I say family, I mean w/ grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, not just mom, dad and siblings. Nowadays I only see my aunts, uncles and cousins at funerals and weddings. We don't take the time to just visit anymore and that's too bad, I miss that.

When we were in Montreal a few years back the stores were closed on Sunday. My kids were SHOCKED that we couldn't go to the mall because it was a Sunday. I said "smart Canadians", good for them!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:05am
post #37 of 50
Quote:

When we were in Montreal a few years back the stores were closed on Sunday. My kids were SHOCKED that we couldn't go to the mall because it was a Sunday. I said "smart Canadians", good for them!

I can relate! While visiting my Arizona warehouse, I made the comment I needed to swing by walmart and buy a book before I headed back to the hotel. We were working late that night and my warehouse clerk told me, "YOu better get to walmart before they close!"

I turned to her, my eyes wide with surprise and said, "Your walmart closes????" icon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

I can relate! While visiting my Arizona warehouse, I made the comment I needed to swing by walmart and buy a book before I headed back to the hotel. We were working late that night and my warehouse clerk told me, "YOu better get to walmart before they close!"

I turned to her, my eyes wide with surprise and said, "Your walmart closes????" icon_eek.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I remember being in high school & my early years at university. My parents would always rush to the bank before it closed on Fridays to deposit their cheques and cash enough money for groceries etc for Saturday. Everything was closed on Sundays. (This is in the early 90's in Canada).

I was shocked when I found out last year that some of the Walmart's were going to be staying open 24 hours up in Western Canada. They always closed no later than 10 (depending on how busy the store was).

I totally agree with you dkelly we would all benefit from a day off and some rest and relaxation with the family. It gets real tiresome always being on the go.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #39 of 50

So lets give kudos to Hobby Lobby, who has a sign on their door that says "Closed on Sunday so our employees can spend time with Faith and Family."

I believe Chick-Fil-A has the same policy.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #40 of 50

Yup Chick-Fil-A does have that policy. I haven't found a Hobby Lobby here in NC but that's great to hear.

What amazes me is that Family Christian Stores is now open on Sundays.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:55am
post #41 of 50
Quote:

You're missing my point...........Everyone survived years ago when the stores were closed on Sundays. We shopped on Saturday or Friday evenings was the big one.....family grocery shopping night! Man that was a blast icon_lol.gif
Point being, back then we were used to Sundays being the laid back, go to church come home to a big family dinner day. When I say family, I mean w/ grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, not just mom, dad and siblings. Nowadays I only see my aunts, uncles and cousins at funerals and weddings. We don't take the time to just visit anymore and that's too bad, I miss that.

Actually, I think you completely missed MY point, which is that not everyone observes their Sabbath on Sunday. Why should Jews and Seventh Day Adventists have to try to fit everything into weekday evenings, because they are observing their Sabbath on the original day, rather than the one decided on by the Council of Nicea (sp?). Note for those who may not know it: the Jewish Sabbath begins at sundown on Friday, so all of what you consider to be the "big" ones for family shopping trips would be out.

If you don't want to shop, go out to dinner, or whatever, on Sunday, then don't. If you don't want to work on Sunday, then don't take a job that requires it.

Yes, in the past the Christian majority designated Sunday as the day everyone should spend with family and in religious observance, but obviously it isn't truly "one size fits all".

I suspect that the main reason people spend less time with extended family isn't that stores are open on Sunday. It is partly because people don't live near their extended families as often. (I have one relative within 500 miles of me.) It is partly because people are busier--with the economy, not as many people work 9 to 5 and have evenings and weekends free. There are more single parent families, not necessarily by choice. There are more dual-income families, and not always due to hyper-materialism. Children have more activities, whether they be sports, youth groups, or whatever. Finally, and I don't know how often this is the case, but I think that people today are less willing to put up with abusive relatives, except at those mandatory events, like weddings and funerals. I know quite a few people that this is true for.

I don't think that everything was good in the 'old' days, nor that everything is bad today.

krysoco Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 7:53pm
post #42 of 50

Yes, for a lot of reasons things have changed. I don't think the point had anything to do w/religion. I think its about getting back to the basics of life. We live in a crazy world and its only getting crazier. Slowing down and enjoying the simple times/pleasures of life have nothing to do w/belonging to any religion.

The Wal-Mart near me just started the 24/7 thing when it relocated across town. It doesn't affect me much. I shop at WM while my older kids are at school. After school times/wkends I shop at a local mom & pop store around the corner of my house. They cash my checks w/o fees of course b/c they know me. You can't get out of the store w/in a 15 min. time span b/c you know everyone that enters the door. They want to chat. You can return/exhange anything w/o a receipt of course b/c they can take your word for it. Ahhhh, oh how times have changed.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 8:20pm
post #43 of 50

Geez Loiuse y'all. If you don't want to visit a store on Sunday then don't!!! But don't force everyone else to not shop on a Sunday, too.

Sunday is my only day off. I have a kabillion things to do on that day, including grocery shopping.

Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:19pm
post #44 of 50

I think what us "oldies" were doing was we were reminiscing about what it was like to have a "chill out" day, where nobody had to get up and go to work on a Sunday. Ya know, the days before technology, direct deposited paychecks, ATM machines, cell phones, and everything being open 7 days a week and even holidays. I realize that some of you are too young to remember any of these things.

I agree krysco, I don't think religion had anything to do w/ all these retailers opening on Sundays. It's all about them selling more. There were just as many Christians, Jews, Muslim's etc living here 40 yrs ago as there are now, and we were used to "closed on Sunday" living.

I'm not against people shopping on Sundays, shop til your hearts content, we were just saying.........."remember when".............sigh icon_wink.gif......wouldn't it be nice to go back to simpler times? I have positive memories so I would like to go back. I realize some may not have such positive memories, I'm sorry if you don't. icon_sad.gif

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:30am
post #45 of 50

Im not sure if im the youngest person to post in this thread or not... im 26, but when I read the op my thought was... yes times have changed - I didn't get no mardi gras birthday party when i was 3 icon_confused.gif My first real birthday party where i was allowed to invite friends was grade 1!

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:53pm
post #46 of 50

WOW!! I never read any other responses. All I have to say is some people have nerve! I would never leave my 3 year old or 4 year old or 5 year old alone at a party unless the hostess told me too, but even with that being said 3 or 4 is definately too young to be just dropping off and leaving. Unbelievable! Especially if there was a pool involved. I don't think you're being overprotective, you cannot be responsible for watching all those kids at the same time! If something ever happend you would feel guilty for the rest of your life! You need to make sure it is very clear in your next invites that the parents are to stay with their kids, I guarantee that won't be bringing every Tom, Dick, and Harry's kids with them then!!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 9:16pm
post #47 of 50

As someone who lives in a state that still has blue laws I'll say they're a pain in the a$$. I would LOVE to be able to shop Sunday mornings when everyone else is in church and the stores a quiet. Instead I have to wait until noon when the stores open.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:06pm
post #48 of 50

My son was invited to a pool party at a hotel when he was in third grade. I walked him in expecting not to stay. Silly me, I assumed the parents would have enough supervision as they planned a pool party! I got there and about 10 of his classmates were in the pool and the adults were in the party room UPSTAIRS! NO lifeguards and one other parent who would not leave her son alone as well. Had I known I was going to stay I would not have brought all three of my boys with me. Now I was put in the position of making my younger two watch while my oldest got to play in the pool. Obviously I stayed and we left early after cake telling the parents exactly why we were leaving and telling them to go back downstairs with the kids before someone drowns. I was livid!
Around here you do not expect to stay at a party with your child. The parents who host the party ask friends to stay and help or put it on the invitation. I do not plan food, drinks or cake for parents as well as younger siblings, only those invited. I also do not just drop my boys off either. I walk him to the door and go inside.
I think it really depends on where the party is and who is throwing it.
Tracy

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:14am
post #49 of 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

My mother in law talks about how she can remember how everything store in town (yes, even gas stations) closed on Sundays.

It was because of what was called The Blue Laws (don't ask me why they were called that) but pretty much it was the law that everything had to close on Sunday. There would be one drugstore open in case anyone needed medicine, and they were open on a rotating basis. Our newspaper would print which one was open that week.

Banks closed at 3:00 and there were no ATM machines, so you had to plan ahead for the cash you were going to need on the weekend AND remember to get enough cash to send with the kids on Monday for their lunch money.

I remember as a kid there was ONE grocery in the entire county that was open 24 hours.

Just a side note, my parents live in NJ and Blue Laws are still around. The only thing open by them on a Sunday is a food store and they love it that way icon_biggrin.gif

krysoco Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:58pm
post #50 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueW

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

My mother in law talks about how she can remember how everything store in town (yes, even gas stations) closed on Sundays.

It was because of what was called The Blue Laws (don't ask me why they were called that) but pretty much it was the law that everything had to close on Sunday. There would be one drugstore open in case anyone needed medicine, and they were open on a rotating basis. Our newspaper would print which one was open that week.

Banks closed at 3:00 and there were no ATM machines, so you had to plan ahead for the cash you were going to need on the weekend AND remember to get enough cash to send with the kids on Monday for their lunch money.

I remember as a kid there was ONE grocery in the entire county that was open 24 hours.

Just a side note, my parents live in NJ and Blue Laws are still around. The only thing open by them on a Sunday is a food store and they love it that way icon_biggrin.gif

Wow, I can't believe places still do that. Very interesting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%