Storing Gum Paste

Decorating By Sneezie Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 12:01am by ptanyer

Sneezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sneezie Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 14

How do I store gumpaste so that it doesn't dry out? I have tried wrapping it in press n seal and then put it it a baggie but that doesn't work. After a while it dries out. I end up throwing away a lot of good gumpaste. Thanks!

13 replies
kathrynmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathrynmc Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 14

Hi, you can freeze it. I pop it in a sealed bag, and when I need some, let it defrost to room temperature.

Kathryn

Sneezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sneezie Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 14

I had no idea you could freeze it! Thanks!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 14

I use the ziploc freezer bags. I usually doublewrap in 2 different bags and it keeps for months.

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:12am
post #5 of 14

If you don't want to freeze it, I found out that putting it in a ziploc baggie (push out the air) then drop that in a lock-n-lock container--it keeps for quite a while. I just put each color in it's own baggie, then drop them in a lock-n-lock container together. (I haven't tried freezing yet, but this would be another option, if you worry you might need it quicker than you could thaw it out later.)

nanny6sap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny6sap Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 14

I had the same problem with fondant/gumpaste & when my daughter gave a me a small Seal-Meal the lights went on. I make a bag large enough to hold what I don't use plus extra room so when I open it I have enough at the top to reseal the bag until I use up the fondant/gumpaste.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 14

You have to put a thin coating of shortening all over the paste before wrapping or bagging.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 14

I do the same things KonfectionKonnection and playingwithsugar said, and there's never a problem.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 14

I do the same thing as KonfectionKonnection as well. I've never had a problem.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 14

I have a FoodSaver vacuum system but I don't like having to seal/cut, seal/cut the bags because the FoodSaver bags aren't cheap.

I use Ziploc vacuum bags. I got the little Ziploc hand pump and a few bags from Wal-Mart for under $4 and it works very well. I keep it right there in my fondant/gumpaste toolbox so I use it immediately after finishing with my fondant/gumpaste work and I love it!

Link: http://www.ziploc.com/?p=b10

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanny6sap

I had the same problem with fondant/gumpaste & when my daughter gave a me a small Seal-Meal the lights went on. I make a bag large enough to hold what I don't use plus extra room so when I open it I have enough at the top to reseal the bag until I use up the fondant/gumpaste.

That is what I do, the bags are a little expensive but it worth it thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif , I have the rolls for my fondant and baking stuff and I usually buy the bags (little ones and big ones) for my kitchen stuff, I can't live without my press and seal michine thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif The ziploc hand pump never used before but I think it is a good idea they are cheap and handy thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif , You are going to expend a little extra money but you are going to save a lot on fondant and gumpaste thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:13pm
post #12 of 14

I have been using the ziploc hand pump. I am also so cheap I put the paste in small bags and leave a bit open and then in the bigger bag and pump. Keeps the bag clean and you can store lots of paste at once. i also use it when making flowers. I have a small firm board I put in the bag with the cut outs on it, pump out the air, work a bit, open bag to get petals leaves whatever and pump. It works for me but my DD says it is a pain.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:01am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I have a FoodSaver vacuum system but I don't like having to seal/cut, seal/cut the bags because the FoodSaver bags aren't cheap.

I have the FoodSaver system as well, but I use the containers instead and can keep the fondant/gumpaste in them - open when I need something and then vacuum and seal and no wasted bags. Walmart sells the containers for the FoodSaver system and they are very reasonable in price.

I also use them for storing royal icing at room temp when I am working on a project at nights after work.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:01am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I have the FoodSaver system as well, but I use the containers instead and can keep the fondant/gumpaste in them - open when I need something and then vacuum and seal and no wasted bags. Walmart sells the containers for the FoodSaver system and they are very reasonable in price.

I also use them for storing royal icing at room temp when I am working on a project at nights after work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%